Cleaning OEM Seat Covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I picked me up a set of heated/cooled seats from a barn find, in a color match for my truck too.

It looks like the leather and cushions are in great shape. Sadly, they are an improvement over my current seats.

As you can see they are in need of a cleaning. What’s the best way to go about this? Maybe just strip the covers off and toss them in a light cycle/light detergent wash? Would the leather get messed up if I did?

Not sure how long they’ve been sitting, but they’ve been inside at least for that time. There was some mouse crap on it so I definitely want to wash and sanitize them somehow.

Attachments

• 64C316A1-815D-44F0-8D59-72A12B67275B.jpeg
    64C316A1-815D-44F0-8D59-72A12B67275B.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a Raptor specific interior spray cleaner available from Ford. Might give it a try. I wouldn't put it through the washer.

OP
OP
funkified

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the meshy part of this seat is what makes it hard to deep clean, otherwise could just wipe it down thoroughly if it was ALL leather.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Raptor specific cleaner? Does it use dinosaur tears or something? I mean, is there something about these seats that makes them different from every other cloth and leather seat produced for the last 100 years?

Look at my write up on seat upholstery in the how to section. Use it to remove the upholstery, once the upholstery is off you can use dawn to clean the upholstery in your tub, or in your case on your driveway with a hose... If the mouse scent lingers go to a pet store and get an enzymatic pet spot remover.

Plan on doing the seat foams, if there is mouse feces on them there is almost certainly mouse pee (evidently ***** is censored) in the foams, part numbers are in the same thread. You may be able to get them cleaned well enough, but my guess is they are toast.

Once you have cleaned them and are happy with the smell and look use a good quality leather conditioner on the leather portion, Adams or chemical guys sell it. You will have removed all of the oils and protectants in the seats by the time you are done and if you don't you will start to see cracking and damage to the leather finish pretty quickly.

OP
OP
funkified

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor specific cleaner? Does it use dinosaur tears or something? I mean, is there something about these seats that makes them different from every other cloth and leather seat produced for the last 100 years?

Look at my write up on seat upholstery in the how to section. Use it to remove the upholstery, once the upholstery is off you can use dawn to clean the upholstery in your tub, or in your case on your driveway with a hose... If the mouse scent lingers go to a pet store and get an enzymatic pet spot remover.

Plan on doing the seat foams, if there is mouse feces on them there is almost certainly mouse pee (evidently ***** is censored) in the foams, part numbers are in the same thread. You may be able to get them cleaned well enough, but my guess is they are toast.

Once you have cleaned them and are happy with the smell and look use a good quality leather conditioner on the leather portion, Adams or chemical guys sell it. You will have removed all of the oils and protectants in the seats by the time you are done and if you don't you will start to see cracking and damage to the leather finish pretty quickly.
Thanks for the the info, I watched a video on how to do this and it didn’t seem too bad. I’ll def read your guide as well. That’s a good point about the pee, didn’t think about that. Once I get them apart I’ll be able to see the condition. Maybe they can be deep cleaned with a upholstery wet vac?

The goal of this is to strip the drivers seat of the cushions and covers and install on mine, as the bolsters are crushed and the covers are toast.

I did price out new cushions and covers, and just to do the drivers side it would run me about $1k CAD. I picked up this set for $300!

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The oem covers are expensive! The foams aren't too bad though, and its unlikely the rear foams got damaged if the seats were sitting as pictured... unless it was a very vindictive mouse!

OP
OP
funkified

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did a quick wipe down so I could work on taking them apart. As expected, the passenger side (right) came out in much better shape than the drivers. 00CF62BE-CD4E-40BD-B5AD-57FC41FE8565.jpeg

87A0C394-C656-4227-9BF1-3C8265A8E777.jpeg

My current drivers seat for reference.
The bolsters on the lower cushion and the left upper bolster are completely crushed.
256AE2B4-1262-4E8F-B7BE-288419E6CF4E.jpeg

OP
OP
funkified

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to update this thread. I did the lower cushion and cover swap a few months back now and it was all pretty straight forward.

I followed this video on YT, it was super detailed and helpful.

As you can see it isn’t perfect because there’s a bit of a loose spot towards the back. I double checked the Velcro in that area and it was tight....Something happened when I pulled the cover over I think. I’ll try to fix it in the spring.

Either way still an improvement, difficulty of the job is like 5 or 6/10

If anyone attempts this make sure you have new hog rings and pliers they make finishing the job much easier.
87B780BA-957B-45CC-B8F9-12D5D382CF90.jpeg

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I gotta ask: why did you not use the old seat as a complete swap? I reread your initial post but maybe I missed the reason why you wanted to use your oem frame?