Check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went out wheelin this weekend and a strange thing happened to me. We were running in a fairly wet and muddy area. Running in 4L, locked, across about 50 yards of mud puddle, probably 2' deep and check engine light comes on. Big wrench lights up on the display. Go to the system warnings and it only shows the big wrench. When I nail the gas down it starts to jump then drops RPM's down pretty quickly. If I hit it just normally, no issue. Left the area on the way to the dealer and before I get there the light turns off. No problems since. I didn't get into the dealer figuring they wouldn't tell me anything without the check light being on.
Anyone seen this happen before? Any ideas of what it might have been?

SvtDon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a similar problem a couple weekends ago. Off road on, locked on in 2 wheel, and sport traction. Wrench came on then eventually engine light. Was stuck in 3rd gear for a bit. Turned truck off. Gearing was fixed but engine light stayed on. The wrench came on and off here and there but engine light stayed on. Next day I turned truck on and engine light was off so I didn't go to Ford yet. Tried tearing it up real quick on side of road pissing some people off but it didn't come on. Will probably come on the next trip I go in the desert and hope it stays on if so

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

farman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had something like that happen also. I was driving home in a snowstorm and had the wrench light come on and the engine power went down to almost nothing, I was in four wheel drive. It felt like the computers were trying to protect the engine and not let it rev past 2000.but I made it home and turned the truck off and back on and it was fine and has been since.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe that loss of power is a limp-home mode. Interesting that a simple key cycle apparently resets the system and solves the problem, but you guys will be well served to do a system health check. It's simple to do and the instructions are in the Sync manual. It sends a truck system health report to you at your selected e-mail address.