Check Engine light after 1st oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed the oil for the first time using Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W 30 (6 quarts). I used the OEM Ford oil filter.

Now the check engine light is on and I noticed oil on my driveway? Leak?

Any help?

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check the level ASAP.

Oil leak could be from the trough that sits on the cross member. Or perhaps come oil got onto the skid plate.

Check the drain plug and oil filter for leaks.

Great to see all the Canadian content in this thread.

OP
OP
R

Raptor R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the level ASAP.

Oil leak could be from the trough that sits on the cross member. Or perhaps come oil got onto the skid plate.

Yes Canadian. I am in Toronto.

I just checked the oil level. It is not low. A little high actually. (Not much)

I am taking the truck back to the shop after work, and will put it up on the lift and look for any leaks.

OP
OP
R

Raptor R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the level ASAP.

I have been reading on the forum just now, what is this Fumoto valve being talked about?

Is it needed for an oil change?

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Fumoto is a valve that replaces the oil pan plug. You can attach a hose to it and drain the oil directly into whatever container you want just by opening the valve. No mess, no fuss. It’s a beautiful thing, but not necessary. My guess is that the CEL has nothing to do with the oil change, and that the oil drip is from oil that got into the skid plates during the change, either from oil draining from the pan or from changing the filter.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have found that the CVS system on this truck is pretty persnickety. Especially if you are tuned and/or have catch cans (I have both), it will throw CVS codes occasionally even though nothing is really wrong. I just clear them and move on.

OP
OP
R

Raptor R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Fumoto is a valve that replaces the oil pan plug. You can attach a hose to it and drain the oil direct;y into whatever container you want just by opening the valve. No mess, no fuss. It’s a beautiful thing, but not necessary. My guess is that the CEL has nothing to do with the oil change.
Thanks, Where do you guys buy them. What one are you guys all using.