Can we shut off this Shifter safety feature?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monte87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys-

I have been having issues with going through car washes w truck lately. When i drive upto wash and get out the attendant will drive truck into wash and then put truck in NEUTRAL and jump out. As he jumps out of the truck the gear shifter and trans automatically puts shifter in PARK, which the car wash tracks drags vehicle. Is there anyway that this can be eliminated?? I 1st notcied this when i was tryting to hear exhaust valve issue, I opened the door to listened while truck was in gear/drive in my driveway. It automatuically jammed gear into park, almost breaking the parking PALL.

Thanks Anthony

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easiest solution is to not take your truck through a car wash. I have a GEN 2 and the owners manual says not to take through a car wash. Not sure about GEN 3s but my guess would be they are the same.

This is what my owners manual says:

CLEANING THE EXTERIOR​

Note: Do not use front bumper openings as a step. This could cause damage to your vehicle.
Do not drive your vehicle through an automated, commercial car wash due to the vehicle’s tire width and track. Wash your vehicle by hand, or by using a touchless commercial wash with no mechanical tracks on the floor. Do not use a commercial or high-pressure wand on the bed-side graphic surface or graphics edges.

OP
OP
Monte87

Monte87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easiest solution is to not take your truck through a car wash. I have a GEN 2 and the owners manual says not to take through a car wash. Not sure about GEN 3s but my guess would be they are the same.

This is what my owners manual says:

CLEANING THE EXTERIOR​

Note: Do not use front bumper openings as a step. This could cause damage to your vehicle.
Do not drive your vehicle through an automated, commercial car wash due to the vehicle’s tire width and track. Wash your vehicle by hand, or by using a touchless commercial wash with no mechanical tracks on the floor. Do not use a commercial or high-pressure wand on the bed-side graphic surface or graphics edges.
Thanks for reply!
Unfortunately, I have to use car wash for truck. So im jammed up. I havent had any issues w car wash and tracks. The Raptors fit in 2 local washes, the TRX does not.. My issue is the shifter lever ONLY....

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if you push the M (manual) button next to the shifter before shifting to neutral, it will stay. I’m not certain, but give it a try

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Inform them about the automatic shift to park when doors open and advise them either you or they stay in the truck to prevent this and any potential damage from occurring.

Flynxman

Reaction score
Thanks for reply!
Unfortunately, I have to use car wash for truck. So im jammed up. I havent had any issues w car wash and tracks. The Raptors fit in 2 local washes, the TRX does not.. My issue is the shifter lever ONLY....
This is a safety feature in the event you accidentally leave vehicle wo putting it into park. Not sure if you can disable it, probably not. Can't you stay in the vehicle as it goes through wash? On another note the shiny panel between the side windows get small swirl scratches from the wash bristles unless they are the large octopus kind.