Can Stock Head Unit be Rebooted without Cycling Ignition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 1/10 times I start the truck, CarPlay doesn't connect. I've often tried restarting my phone, but I think the problem is on the head unit side. The only way I've found to remedy it is to cycle the whole truck. And that doesn't just mean turn it off/on. I have to turn it off, open the door, close the door, then wait for the timeout period that would still allow the head unit to fast boot (which is pretty long). So it's a real PITA.

Any help?

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had the same issue, but I've noticed that if my phone is unlocked when I plug it in, it doesn't do it. I wonder if the new iOS has some privacy feature that is holding things up if the phone is locked.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I believe you need to have the radio started and responding to commands before connecting a CarPlay device and this connection does not survive a stop / start. You need to disconnect / reconnect if the head unit stops.

usurper

Reaction score
I've had the same issue, but I've noticed that if my phone is unlocked when I plug it in, it doesn't do it. I wonder if the new iOS has some privacy feature that is holding things up if the phone is locked.

Yes, there's a setting on this in the Settings app. Mine will auto-connect unless it's been 2 days since the last time that USB device connected. If so, the phone requires an unlock first. This is to attempt to stop USB cracking of iPhone security, so by default it doesn't trust any USB connections until the phone unlocked or has been unlocked on the same device within the last couple days.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The warm reboot mentioned above tends to work most of the time. Otherwise sometimes you need to let the truck sleep a while after you shut it off. What I also found that almost always works to revive your CarPlay connection, is to go in and remove your phone from sync. It’s in the settings. Then plug your phone in and it should rejoin and prompt you. It’s quick to do actually.

OP
OP
DINOZR

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. Gonna try holding power and seek forward for the soft reboot. To answer some points brought up:
1. I have tried locking/unlocking the phone and looking for a pattern here, but have not been able to discern one.
2. A simple disconnect/reconnect of the USB does not solve it. This is always my first attempted solution.
3. One time I had success by going into the head unit settings, to CarPlay, and then turning CarPlay off for my phone, and then cycling it back on. The truck then connected after cycling it back on. But this has failed to work the past few times.

If the soft reboot can provide a consistent solution (while moving) then that will be all I need.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. Gonna try holding power and seek forward for the soft reboot. To answer some points brought up:
1. I have tried locking/unlocking the phone and looking for a pattern here, but have not been able to discern one.
2. A simple disconnect/reconnect of the USB does not solve it. This is always my first attempted solution.
3. One time I had success by going into the head unit settings, to CarPlay, and then turning CarPlay off for my phone, and then cycling it back on. The truck then connected after cycling it back on. But this has failed to work the past few times.

If the soft reboot can provide a consistent solution (while moving) then that will be all I need.
The soft boot does help many times, but not always. Sometimes power cycling the phone helps too. But removing the phone from sync and Re plug tends to work after these other two quick attempts, sometimes fail.