Camper shell lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine came with the rails installed and I put everything else together. The rails get installed the same whether you buy the shell with them or they are installed later. The kits for the rails are widely available, but if you don't feel comfortable installing rails, anywhere that sells the shell will generally install them for a small fee.

My Cap is a Leer 100XR with a 60" x 54" Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform. I have the quick dismount legs on the rack so it can be pulled off for a slick top in less than 5 minutes. It's a super simple install and gives me the capability to carry stuff that won't fit in the bed or stuff that I want to be mounted higher.

OP
OP
R

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ I love it. Thanks for the feed back. I think I know my next mod. BD light bar with rack on my camp shell.

I too have the Leer 100XR. It is pretty nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something I just thought of. If you are having the rails added by someone else, ask them to use a small "Eye Nut" in at least 6 positions (if not all) on the inside. It will give you little eyelets on the ceiling to hang things. A bungee net would be handy when camping to stash a jacket in or whatever you might want. You can run a bungee through a roll of paper towels to hang them tight against the ceiling near the back door. The tension against the ceiling will keep them from unrolling, and they won't get wet pressed against the center of the roof. The possibilities are endless. I didn't know that was an option when I did mine, and it's something I saw later. I don't want to change all of the hardware to accommodate this and chance a leak, but it's super simple to do it when you drill the holes for the rack for the initial install.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Something I just thought of. If you are having the rails added by someone else, ask them to use a small "Eye Nut" in at least 6 positions (if not all) on the inside. It will give you little eyelets on the ceiling to hang things. A bungee net would be handy when camping to stash a jacket in or whatever you might want. You can run a bungee through a roll of paper towels to hang them tight against the ceiling near the back door. The tension against the ceiling will keep them from unrolling, and they won't get wet pressed against the center of the roof. The possibilities are endless. I didn't know that was an option when I did mine, and it's something I saw later. I don't want to change all of the hardware to accommodate this and chance a leak, but it's super simple to do it when you drill the holes for the rack for the initial install.

Handy, yes, but watch your head. I had a topper years ago that had mounting strips for a rack pre installed at the factory. After ripping a big gash in my head I noticed that one of the mounting screws was longer than the others and stuck out just enough past the washer/protector to be a real hazard.

Reaction score
Mine came with the rails installed and I put everything else together. The rails get installed the same whether you buy the shell with them or they are installed later. The kits for the rails are widely available, but if you don't feel comfortable installing rails, anywhere that sells the shell will generally install them for a small fee.

My Cap is a Leer 100XR with a 60" x 54" Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform. I have the quick dismount legs on the rack so it can be pulled off for a slick top in less than 5 minutes. It's a super simple install and gives me the capability to carry stuff that won't fit in the bed or stuff that I want to be mounted higher.

UGH...I've had my 100XQ on order for 4 months when all this COVID was in full swing and I guess LEER stopped production for a while.

Side note: PRINSU makes a nice roof rack for the 5.5ft ford with a topper and it matches their cab rack, both of which are sitting in my garage :(