Buyer in California

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol at all the whiners here. “Please don’t bring your money to my state I only support capitalism when it benefits me.” Screw anyone who tries to limit my right to spend my money wherever I want in this country. Proudly live in California, proudly own guns, and proudly grabbed a steal of a deal on a 37pp 2500 miles away.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It sucks but after getting everything lined up and buying out of state ends up not saving that much at all unless you can buy at MSRP which is getting more rare these days. CA will also charge use tax on the price of the vehicle minus what the State already taxed so no savings there unless you keep the Raptor out of state for a year lol.
exactly, and if you buy out of state, you only hurt the local economy.

Lol at all the whiners here. “Please don’t bring your money to my state I only support capitalism when it benefits me.” Screw anyone who tries to limit my right to spend my money wherever I want in this country. Proudly live in California, proudly own guns, and proudly grabbed a steal of a deal on a 37pp 2500 miles away.
Good for you, and too bad for your local dealerships. With so many Californians and others too but CA in particular making out of state buys, you would think that the Raptor market there would improve.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good for you, and too bad for your local dealerships. With so many Californians and others too but CA in particular making out of state buys, you would think that the Raptor market there would improve.

Price differences based on location are rather interesting to me, when you factor in cost of living differences, and how some good and services can be easily purchased from other locations. In some ways, cost of living differences should disappear over time, but there will always be advantages to location, and governments to make it more or less expensive to live in a particular place.

And while I get the concept of spending your money locally, I also think "locally" should work to give you a better product, rather then expecting what amounts to charity.

Related but unrelated, do you buy the girl scout cookies because they're good cookies, or because you want to give them money, and if it's just money, then why disguise it with the cookies?

FmaxTurboSi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d buy a raptor at my local dealership, where I’ve bought 2 previous fords, if they weren’t being greedy. I tried to buy my gen 2 for msrp, my sales rep said she could probably get me msrp if i came down in person and showed i was serious. When i arrived, the manager came out and said to me “why would i sell you a raptor at msrp if i can sell it to another dealer for 5k over?”

That’s why i went out of state for my gen2.

Now dealers here want 25-40k markup. I’m not wasting my money.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’d buy a raptor at my local dealership, where I’ve bought 2 previous fords, if they weren’t being greedy. I tried to buy my gen 2 for msrp, my sales rep said she could probably get me msrp if i came down in person and showed i was serious. When i arrived, the manager came out and said to me “why would i sell you a raptor at msrp if i can sell it to another dealer for 5k over?”

It's a legit question. I wouldn't sell a vehicle to someone for 5k less than I can sell it elsewhere...unless maybe it's family or something. Sure, he lost your loyalty maybe, but I guess he didn't think your loyalty was worth 5k, or whatever ADM he manages to sell elsewhere.

The issue here really is the sales rep mislead you. That and Ford hasn't set the rules that prevent dealers from trading vehicles around for the highest profit...which they seem to say they are trying to address now.

That’s why i went out of state for my gen2.

Now dealers here want 25-40k markup. I’m not wasting my money.

And you shouldn't.

figure1a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sucks but after getting everything lined up and buying out of state ends up not saving that much at all unless you can buy at MSRP which is getting more rare these days. CA will also charge use tax on the price of the vehicle minus what the State already taxed so no savings there unless you keep the Raptor out of state for a year lol.
Doesn't quite work like that. Just bought mine from Mississippi and shipped to CA. When the dealer registered the truck, the only register it once in CA and you only pay sales tax once for CA.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I would not buy in cali if they were the cheapest as it is the largest collection of liberals destroying a beautiful state. Will not help their cause. I won’t buy craft beer made there or New York and Oregon. Have you heard of 2ndvote.com?