Broken water pump pulley?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GhostRHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So This past Saturday, the wife and I were going to run errands and i went to auto start the truck and there was about a 10sec delay before starting (usually fires right up). we go out to the truck and i go to get in the cab and there is a burning smell. it doesn't smell electrical but i started checking the fuse panel in the footwell on the passenger side for the add-a-fuse i installed for my dual battery, and then checked the inverter and everything looked fine. I decide we will just take the wifes Grand Cherokee and i'll look into when i get back.
When we got back I noticed my dometic Fridge/Freezer in the bed was off. I grab my fluke and go to check voltages on the battery to see if there was a draw somewhere. I checked the "house" battery first and it was reading low. I then checked the starting battery and it was low as well (<10 volts!!). I start the truck and sure enough i get a chargin system fault light a few min after starting. I recheck votages and the "house" battery is still low around 11 volts which isn't normal at all as the REARC battery charger normally goes into boost initially bringing it up to 14.5-14.7 volts. I check the starting battery again and it is at 11 volts as well. So i immediately think the alternator failed and maybe the battery as well.
Monday morning i call the dealer and go to drive the truck to the dealer to have them check it out. I get about 5 miles down the road and the coolant temp pegs hot. So i immediately pull over and shut it down and pop the hood to get some cool air on it. I call for a tow truck (that was a story for another time, all i say was that was the biggest pain in the ass ever!).

the dealer calls me this afternoon and apparently either the shaft of the water pump broke as the pulley was "wobbly" or the bearing failed either way seems like an odd failure with less than 19k miles. they are still looking to see if there are any other issues. But has anyone experienced anything like this on their Raptor? Just seems like an odd failure especially at such low miles and wonder if there is another issue that would have cause the pump to fail and they aren't going to look for it and i'm going to constantly be having issues after this repair.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't lose sleep over it. If it happens twice then it's something to be concerned with. Vehicles are mechanical, things can oddly be defective, it's par for the course. You have warranty, so lets hear about the tow truck incident :)

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So This past Saturday, the wife and I were going to run errands and i went to auto start the truck and there was about a 10sec delay before starting (usually fires right up). we go out to the truck and i go to get in the cab and there is a burning smell. it doesn't smell electrical but i started checking the fuse panel in the footwell on the passenger side for the add-a-fuse i installed for my dual battery, and then checked the inverter and everything looked fine. I decide we will just take the wifes Grand Cherokee and i'll look into when i get back.
When we got back I noticed my dometic Fridge/Freezer in the bed was off. I grab my fluke and go to check voltages on the battery to see if there was a draw somewhere. I checked the "house" battery first and it was reading low. I then checked the starting battery and it was low as well (<10 volts!!). I start the truck and sure enough i get a chargin system fault light a few min after starting. I recheck votages and the "house" battery is still low around 11 volts which isn't normal at all as the REARC battery charger normally goes into boost initially bringing it up to 14.5-14.7 volts. I check the starting battery again and it is at 11 volts as well. So i immediately think the alternator failed and maybe the battery as well.
Monday morning i call the dealer and go to drive the truck to the dealer to have them check it out. I get about 5 miles down the road and the coolant temp pegs hot. So i immediately pull over and shut it down and pop the hood to get some cool air on it. I call for a tow truck (that was a story for another time, all i say was that was the biggest pain in the ass ever!).

the dealer calls me this afternoon and apparently either the shaft of the water pump broke as the pulley was "wobbly" or the bearing failed either way seems like an odd failure with less than 19k miles. they are still looking to see if there are any other issues. But has anyone experienced anything like this on their Raptor? Just seems like an odd failure especially at such low miles and wonder if there is another issue that would have cause the pump to fail and they aren't going to look for it and i'm going to constantly be having issues after this repair.

It's probably thousands of parts all put together. One of them failing may happen.

Just because the failure is unlikely don't mean it won't happen.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the charging system though? For giggles check the tensioner on pullies. pump failure is random, but at the same time the charging system had issues? worth a checkin on

and the tow truck story..

OP
OP
G

GhostRHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the charging system though? For giggles check the tensioner on pullies. pump failure is random, but at the same time the charging system had issues? worth a checkin on

and the tow truck story..

the charging system was relative to the belt since the pulley failed the alternator wasn't spinning either. they are checking the other pulley's and tensioners as well.

OP
OP
G

GhostRHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well here is an update. They replaced the water pump pulley (not sure how just the pulley would break on this), tensioner pulley which is what the think the cause of all the issues was in the first place, the belt, and the battery.