Broke down, anyone heard this?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thought would be to check you MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor). It is easy to check and easy to clean. Make sure you use a cleaner specifically designed for the MAF, like the one from CRC

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
john.rubicon.54

john.rubicon.54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water in your gas possibly?

Would I be able to run half a tank if water were in it? I'm not being a smart ass, I'm really wondering lol. I wish I would've broke down close to home and I would've tried cleaning the MAF but I wasn't so got it towed to the dealer. It's a 4-5 day wait to get checked out at my dealer so I didn't wanna take a few days trouble shooting, not find the issue, and then take it in.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would I be able to run half a tank if water were in it? I'm not being a smart ass, I'm really wondering lol. I wish I would've broke down close to home and I would've tried cleaning the MAF but I wasn't so got it towed to the dealer. It's a 4-5 day wait to get checked out at my dealer so I didn't wanna take a few days trouble shooting, not find the issue, and then take it in.

Follow up when you get it back from the dealer, I would be interested in knowing what made it die.

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thought would be to check you MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor). It is easy to check and easy to clean. Make sure you use a cleaner specifically designed for the MAF, like the one from CRC

Hope this helps!

X2. Sounds like the MAF sensor to me too.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score

Yeah probably not water. Usually only causes a problem as the tank nears empty.

Big Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Mass Air Flow sensor is a very delicate sensor. It uses two wires to measure the amount of air flowing into the engine. The two wires are heated (by electricity) and the more electricity used to heat them tells the ECU how much air is flowing past them.

Between very fine dirt and the trend towards oiled filters it's very important to clean the MAF. Cleaning the MAF has so many benefits it's unreal. Between reducing pinging, increasing mileage, and preventing it from burning out (saving yourself $$$) there's no reason to not clean the MAF sensor once every 6 months. Also clean it shortly after installing or reinstalling an oil filed air filter.
You don't need many tools. As a matter of fact, You'll need a flat head screwdriver. Those are Safety Torx or Tamper Proof Torx bits. You can buy a whole set like I did or just get size T-20.
ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER. This is the only thing you should use to clean your MAF. Only ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER. No windex, no carb cleaner, no brake cleaner, no rubbing alcohol, and no Q-Tips.
Step 1: Open the hood and locate your air box. If you can't find it...please stop right now and have a friend clean your MAF for you.
Step 2: Open the airbox and move the assembly up to give you room to work.
Step 3: Locate the plug on the bottom and move the grommet down to give you room.

Step 4: Take the flathead screwdriver and pop the four tabs holding the assembly in.
Step 5: Reach in and disconnect the wiring harness from the MAF. Don't rip the wires or anything!
Step 6: Remove the assembly. Locate the MAF and remove the two screws holding it in.

Step 7: Spray the living daylights out of the wires. Do NOT touch them. ABOSOLUTELY DO NOT TOUCH THEM. Those wires are very small and delicate. If you break one of them....it's a $150 mistake.
Step 8: The installation is the reversal.
Do this once every 6 months and your MAF will continue to be clean and your performance won't suffer. Definitely don't drive it sounding like that. Good luck let us know how you make out.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Mass Air Flow sensor is a very delicate sensor. It uses two wires to measure the amount of air flowing into the engine. The two wires are heated (by electricity) and the more electricity used to heat them tells the ECU how much air is flowing past them.

Between very fine dirt and the trend towards oiled filters it's very important to clean the MAF. Cleaning the MAF has so many benefits it's unreal. Between reducing pinging, increasing mileage, and preventing it from burning out (saving yourself $$$) there's no reason to not clean the MAF sensor once every 6 months. Also clean it shortly after installing or reinstalling an oil filed air filter.
You don't need many tools. As a matter of fact, You'll need a flat head screwdriver. Those are Safety Torx or Tamper Proof Torx bits. You can buy a whole set like I did or just get size T-20.
ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER. This is the only thing you should use to clean your MAF. Only ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER. No windex, no carb cleaner, no brake cleaner, no rubbing alcohol, and no Q-Tips.
Step 1: Open the hood and locate your air box. If you can't find it...please stop right now and have a friend clean your MAF for you.
Step 2: Open the airbox and move the assembly up to give you room to work.
Step 3: Locate the plug on the bottom and move the grommet down to give you room.

Step 4: Take the flathead screwdriver and pop the four tabs holding the assembly in.
Step 5: Reach in and disconnect the wiring harness from the MAF. Don't rip the wires or anything!
Step 6: Remove the assembly. Locate the MAF and remove the two screws holding it in.

Step 7: Spray the living daylights out of the wires. Do NOT touch them. ABOSOLUTELY DO NOT TOUCH THEM. Those wires are very small and delicate. If you break one of them....it's a $150 mistake.
Step 8: The installation is the reversal.
Do this once every 6 months and your MAF will continue to be clean and your performance won't suffer. Definitely don't drive it sounding like that. Good luck let us know how you make out.

Why would you insist on using Electrical Contact Cleaner, when they make MAF Sensor Cleaner, which is formulated specifically for this purpose?

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had some funky stuff going on. Ended up being MAF and the fuel pump sending module. So far so good. Mine actually went out while driving. All power gone.

OP
OP
john.rubicon.54

john.rubicon.54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I might go up to the dealer and try this since it's just waiting in line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk