Brake on ice/snow = rattling/noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Shwiggy

Shwiggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sound like abs. But I do have a questions. Does it happen only when it's cold outside? Doesn't matter if there's snow, ice or not. Have you had the front wheels of your truck submerged in deep water to the point that water would be above you breaks. If yes I had this problem. Let me know.

Yes only when it's cold and when I slowed down on a patch of ice or slick snow. I've driven through about 4-6 inches of water but that's about it. Never sat her in deep water.

Magnum PI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the dealer check your break components. There's a possibility that water got in somewhere where it's not supposed to. Had the truck there for a couple of days to have everything thaw out. Have a friend that works at dealership that helps. He took my break assembly apart and he found water sorry can't remember where. Ordered a new part and fixed the problem. Sounds like it might be the same but I was stuck in some deep water when that happened.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

And the breaking problem was only when it was 30 or below.

Battlefront

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had this happen to me this morning when I hit a small patch of ice when I was slowing down for the stop sign. Definitely the ABS.

Baja Jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was hoping someone could help me figure this out...

Whenever it snows or is cold enough to turn puddles into ice, I've noticed that when I brake on these snow/ice patches that I get this loud, rattling/grinding noise in my front end. I can feel it in my brake peddle and it vibrates the hell out of it.

Now this doesn't happen EVERY single time and you're probably thinking, "slow the **** down idiot!". Problem is, I've had this happen while going 5 mph as I pull into my neighborhood and even when backing up into my parking spot. I just hit that ice patch or snow patch and then I get the loud ass noise up front.

Had the same thing happen with my first ABS vehicle. 100% cure for the problem, move to Florida or Arizona. You could move to California but then your wallet makes the same noise every time you fill up at the pump.