Big Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Rotora option looks nice and even better it uses a common pad shape so there's plenty of compound options that can be gotten for a reasonable amount of money.

When I get closer to needing to replace my brakes in the next 15-20k I'm going to look into making myself a kit that uses the stock rotor with an upgraded caliper. Already have the caliper picked out, just need to get some details from the manufacturer on it to see if it'll clear stock wheels.

RockyRoad

Reaction score
The Rotora option looks nice and even better it uses a common pad shape so there's plenty of compound options that can be gotten for a reasonable amount of money.

When I get closer to needing to replace my brakes in the next 15-20k I'm going to look into making myself a kit that uses the stock rotor with an upgraded caliper. Already have the caliper picked out, just need to get some details from the manufacturer on it to see if it'll clear stock wheels.

An upgraded caliper will help - but you'll be putting more heat energy into the stock rotors which I think have been at least half the weak point on the brakes. If you do this, please report back as I wonder if this will work - or you'll just go through factory rotors a lot quicker.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An upgraded caliper will help - but you'll be putting more heat energy into the stock rotors which I think have been at least half the weak point on the brakes. If you do this, please report back as I wonder if this will work - or you'll just go through factory rotors a lot quicker.

Every single "big brake kit" on the market that fits under stock wheels uses a rotor that's smaller than stock. It won't go through rotors faster than any of those kits.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

RockyRoad

Reaction score
Every single "big brake kit" on the market that fits under stock wheels uses a rotor that's smaller than stock. It won't go through rotors faster than any of those kits.

If you put on more aggressive pads you will be putting more energy into the rotor (aka heat) that it wasn't designed to handle. That said - you're right in that a big brake kit that doesn't add more thermal mass to the rotors will feel good once - and then on the second stop will be even worse than stock as the rotors overheat.

Alcon and Rotora use a thicker rotor (wider and more material) from what I can tell - so we can keep running 17" wheels. Powerstop and some others just put some fancy slots on an OE sized rotor and call it a day. ...but hey, the calipers look sexy right? :)

Good systems will use thicker rotors if they maintain wheel size, or larger diameter rotors if they mandate larger wheels. More thermal mass is required to improve longevity and absorb more heat energy. Putting on just bigger pads and calipers will actually be worse IMO. Your first hard stop feels good - your second (like in stop/go traffic or off-road) will likely be worse than OEM.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you put on more aggressive pads you will be putting more energy into the rotor (aka heat) that it wasn't designed to handle. That said - you're right in that a big brake kit that doesn't add more thermal mass to the rotors will feel good once - and then on the second stop will be even worse than stock as the rotors overheat.

Alcon and Rotora use a thicker rotor (wider and more material) from what I can tell - so we can keep running 17" wheels. Powerstop and some others just put some fancy slots on an OE sized rotor and call it a day. ...but hey, the calipers look sexy right? :)

Good systems will use thicker rotors if they maintain wheel size, or larger diameter rotors if they mandate larger wheels. More thermal mass is required to improve longevity and absorb more heat energy. Putting on just bigger pads and calipers will actually be worse IMO. Your first hard stop feels good - your second (like in stop/go traffic or off-road) will likely be worse than OEM.

Rotora's rotor is only 1mm thicker than stock, the overall thermal mass isn't really increased at all, pretty sure Alcon is in the same boat. Compound Mu is generally pretty tame for most street pad compounds too, so you're not dumping a ton of heat into the rotor unless your dragging the brakes down the side of a mountain.

A larger area pad will operate at a cooler temperature and live a longer life than a smaller area pad. The most important factor of the caliper is piston area, and the main benefit in moving to a fixed caliper is increasing rigidity and reducing deflection in the system which makes for a more efficient braking system. All of this has been proven time and time again in the racing world.

I've designed a multitude of brake kits, I have no qualms with the approach I'm taking. Bigger rotor would be nice but that's not in the cards to fit behind a stock wheel (and it jacks up consumable cost a good bit). Any of the kits on the market (and the one I'm designing) would be plenty for 99.9% of people, it's just that none of the kits on the market check all of my boxes.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Powerstop and some others just put some fancy slots on an OE sized rotor and call it a day. ...but hey, the calipers look sexy right? :)
Powerstop is Chinese junk. Do not buy. Impressive advertising campaigns, but terrible brake components.