Best mods to build up a naturally asperated 6.2L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been pondering engine upgrades for while now and the one thing I've been wondering is what can be done to get some decent naturally aspirated power out of the 6.2L?

Right now I just have some normal stuff.... SVC Tune, Corsa Extreme Exhaust, and in a few days I should have the Corsa intake here and mounted up.

What are some of the next things I should look into doing to squeek more power out of the 6.2L? I figure headers are a give-in... anyone else I should consider other than Stainless Works? Different throttle bodies? Cams? Hell.... new heads & cams? (thought I saw a vender on here a long time back that made a set)

What have you guys done in the past? I figure whichever way I go, I'm going to have to also get it dyno-tuned (especially with cams).

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
With our custom tune, Airaid intake, and Kooks Full exhaust on 93 octane we have breached 380 at the wheels. That is about a 60 RWHP improvement from stock and gives you a ton more TQ, throttle response, much better shifting, and even better fuel economy when your not heavy on the gas pedal! More than this and you would require going into the motor, doing head or cam work and that can be as expensive as a supercharger.

If you have any quesitons call us at 732-780-0770 we would be happy to help!

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim is right, and they do great work there at JDM. I am running one of their tunes right now. The headers are the way to go, and I also did the throttle body from JDM. I would imagine you could add 40-45hp, maybe a little more/less on to what you have with these 2 additions, and the truck will sound badass. The headers give it a more throaty rumble. New cams and heads will be very pricey, and not worth the gain/cost really. If you want it to really haul ass, just go SC. If not, you could change the gears(also pricey). But awesome low end power and acceleration.

Livernois Motorsports

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the mention from Jimbo and Bulletnjm.

If you looking to remain N/A then our cylinder heads and camshafts are the way to go. Add our cylinder heads, camshafts and headers to your current modification list and you will likely be in the 400whp area if tune properly.

Past those modifications we also offer our 6.6L Extreme Shortblock assembly that will give a solid foundation for future plans. We offer this shortblock in a low setup for power adder applications or higher compression should you decide to stay N/A.

Here is a link to the Raptor section of our website.
2010-14 SVT F150 Raptor

Hope this information helps.

OP
OP
D

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know.

Aside from Stainless Works, what other header options are on the market? I definitely want to keep my Corsa Extreme exhaust so Id be looking for something that will mate up correctly to it.

Also, can anyone recommend any shops in San Diego county that can do the install? I have the tools and know I could put them in myself (just read the SS header install thread on here ... but I dont have the time or facilities to do it. (miss my damn house in CO! LOL!)

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good to know.

Aside from Stainless Works, what other header options are on the market? I definitely want to keep my Corsa Extreme exhaust so Id be looking for something that will mate up correctly to it.

Also, can anyone recommend any shops in San Diego county that can do the install? I have the tools and know I could put them in myself (just read the SS header install thread on here ... but I dont have the time or facilities to do it. (miss my damn house in CO! LOL!)

Kooks and ARH are great options as well. If you plan on going with the Corsa I would definitely recommend the SW headers though.

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

OP
OP
D

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Riddle me this... with the headers, would I need to also need to get the truck Dyno tuned to make sure its running *just* right? Or do you think with the SVC tune already on the truck, it wouldnt really need to be?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As Jimbo said Livernois is the way to go, I have had this video bookmarked for awhile now
http://youtu.be/LQrmhHSlprs
That thing probably hauls ass being a SCAB.
With our custom tune, Airaid intake, and Kooks Full exhaust on 93 octane we have breached 380 at the wheels. That is about a 60 RWHP improvement from stock and gives you a ton more TQ, throttle response, much better shifting, and even better fuel economy when your not heavy on the gas pedal! More than this and you would require going into the motor, doing head or cam work and that can be as expensive as a supercharger.

If you have any quesitons call us at 732-780-0770 we would be happy to help!
How much if that 60 RWHP is from the intake? Most guys get about 30 - 40 hp with headers, tune and intake. 60 is impressive!
Riddle me this... with the headers, would I need to also need to get the truck Dyno tuned to make sure its running *just* right? Or do you think with the SVC tune already on the truck, it wouldnt really need to be?
You can get away with a canned tune. 5Star offers a performance header tune. I have it and a custom tune. Both are good, but I do like the custom tune better.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby: