Best Intercooler for Stock Location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Has anyone had good luck with the Wagner IC?? I'm hearing some negative comments on installation. Should I consider going a different route?

I just purchased my 2020 and I'm currently waiting on my performance parts to come in this week.

SPD Turbo Adapters
SPD Downpipes
SPD 170 Thermostat
Wagner IC kit
Corsa Resonator Delete
Corsa Sport Cat back exhaust
Ngauge Tuner- Lund Racing

Any other recommendations??

That's a great setup. Only issue with the Wagner is crappy installation instructions and a bit of work for install. However, it is THE largest intercooler available in the OEM location.

No issues with your mod list, I think you'll be happy with it. You can always get another tune if you feel the need or want to go custom. We'd be glad to help with any other parts on your list or if you wanted to brainstorm some other options.

Last edited:

crjdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that’s a great response and something that makes sense for real world driving.

What do all your mods comprise of if I may ask? Better mileage too? I gather if your not putting your foot into it.
CVF Titan IC and a Cobb air filter. Thats it.
I never shy away from the gas pedal. Were talking wife in the passenger seat, normal driving, not driving for economy. I see a 1-2 mpg improvement. Where I was getting 15-15.5 I am now Getting 16.5-17.5

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds good all around and a minimal amount of upgrades. What’s your average reduction in charge temps as compared to the stock IC?

blk91gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running a Wagner for over two years and it has been great. During that time it has had an MPT or MPT E30 tune. No problems.

Install was not bad. Instructions are not great but nothing a few pics couldn't resolve

crjdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good all around and a minimal amount of upgrades. What’s your average reduction in charge temps as compared to the stock IC?
Oh I also removed that useless Louver assembly that blocks Airflow. To the new IC. I never data logged the stock IC. I need to datalog the new IC and send the results to Cobb.

SgtDino

Reaction score
This was a great read to get up to speed. If I am understanding correctly, the general consensus for a simple, non modified install seems to be either the CVF or the Whipple. Now, does the extra 4% of volume from the Whipple justify the price being over 150% of the CVF...

Also, is it just the volume difference? Are there any other performance advantages to the Whipple?

I’m in AZ and like what the JB4 and S&B intake have done for the truck. Now I just need to make sure I don’t lose timing.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This was a great read to get up to speed. If I am understanding correctly, the general consensus for a simple, non modified install seems to be either the CVF or the Whipple. Now, does the extra 4% of volume from the Whipple justify the price being over 150% of the CVF...

Also, is it just the volume difference? Are there any other performance advantages to the Whipple?

I’m in AZ and like what the JB4 and S&B intake have done for the truck. Now I just need to make sure I don’t lose timing.
I would suggest that the difference between the 2 will be negligible. Any good bar and plate OEM replacement IC will be better than the OEM unit, full stop. It is my opinion that the OEM location is shit for airflow which is why an FMIC is preferrable.

SgtDino

Reaction score
I ended up ordering the CV Fab unit. I’m fact, it has already shipped, so that’s great! I couldn’t justify well over 150% of the price for the Whipple; the CV just seems like a great deal. Looking forward to it complimenting everything else while keeping the truck relatively unchanged.

crjdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up ordering the CV Fab unit. I’m fact, it has already shipped, so that’s great! I couldn’t justify well over 150% of the price for the Whipple; the CV just seems like a great deal. Looking forward to it complimenting everything else while keeping the truck relatively unchanged.
You won’t be disappointed.