GEN 2 Bent Rear Axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uncas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was elk hunting this week and on an owl snot slick road and slid out. Smacked an embankment pretty hard and took a chunk out of the stock cast alloy wheels. Luckily the bead held enough air to get me off the side of the mountain and after some select words, got the spare installed. Now I am noticing some mild vibration and a rubbing noise at low speed. It sounds like the rotor is hitting on the splash shield. I am thinking it may be a bent axle shaft over a bent rotor. Is it actually possible to bend the axle housing? If it’s a bent axle, has anyone replaced one yet on the GEN2? I am think about ordering the OEM parts and doing it myself instead of having it on record as I plan to dump this 18 for a 20 in the spring. (Too many other problems)

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Put it on a jack stand and let it idle in gear. But, beware if it is bent it will vibrate pretty good and maybe off the stand,

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Is this something you are going to repair yourself?
It is possible to bend the housing, my money is on the axle shaft though. Likely just the flange at the wheel studs. Jack the rear of the truck off the ground and spin the wheel by hand, that should tell the tale.
You can put a straight edge on the axle tubes, or remove both shafts and possibly the carrier, if it has a cross shaft, and run a dowel through the housing to check.

OP
OP
Uncas

Uncas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this something you are going to repair yourself?
It is possible to bend the housing, my money is on the axle shaft though. Likely just the flange at the wheel studs. Jack the rear of the truck off the ground and spin the wheel by hand, that should tell the tale.
You can put a straight edge on the axle tubes, or remove both shafts and possibly the carrier, if it has a cross shaft, and run a dowel through the housing to check.
I am thinking I may just have a local mechanic do it. I pulled the tire, and spun the rotor, you can see a slight wobble, didn’t go any deeper yesterday as I ran out of time. I can get a new axle shaft and bearings for under $300 and pay him the labor. I’m sure Ford won’t warranty it and if I dump this one, I don’t want the dealer to see the repair.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking I may just have a local mechanic do it. I pulled the tire, and spun the rotor, you can see a slight wobble, didn’t go any deeper yesterday as I ran out of time. I can get a new axle shaft and bearings for under $300 and pay him the labor. I’m sure Ford won’t warranty it and if I dump this one, I don’t want the dealer to see the repair.

Mental note....... don't buy used Raptor's from Colorado...............