Bed Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clark98ut

Reaction score
I’ve posted pictures of my Baja Designs bed light setup before, and I really like it except one feature...there is no way to turn it on from the bed.

I recently added the factory bed lights since my truck didn’t come with them. I like the way the switch works on them, and that they’ll time out if you forget to turn them off. My question is, does anyone know if I could power the S1 off that same wiring harness system or would it draw too much? If so, any other thoughts on how I can make this work?

Thanks,

Dan

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A single S1 is rated at 1.45 amps. I’d check to see what the bed lights you installed are rated at first. You might also consider doing an S2 sport. Those are rated at .9 amps each.

Let us know if we can help!

PH: 888-466-8991
Web: OFFROADALLIANCE.COM

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I can tell you that 2 b/d squadron sports are too much for that circuit. I faulted the BCM trying to grab power for my relay off that circuit. It doesn’t trip the fuse, it throws a DTC and you have to clear it.

I’d say don’t do it. That [factory] wire is very, very thin, probably 18 or 20 gauge best case. You might be able to use it to power a relay, off the switch leg, which would give your bed lights the same time out feature, but I never dug that far into whether or not this was feasible.

OP
OP
C

clark98ut

Reaction score
I can tell you that 2 b/d squadron sports are too much for that circuit. I faulted the BCM trying to grab power for my relay off that circuit. It doesn’t trip the fuse, it throws a DTC and you have to clear it.

I’d say don’t do it. That [factory] wire is very, very thin, probably 18 or 20 gauge best case. You might be able to use it to power a relay, off the switch leg, which would give your bed lights the same time out feature, but I never dug that far into whether or not this was feasible.

That’s was going to be my backup plan. Judging by the “heft” of the factory LED bed lamps, I’m assuming they’re drawing very little power.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I agree, they’re fine for what they are but don’t put too much on that circuit.