Bed Covers for Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FORDONLY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
want to order an F1 OR MX4 ....any vendors on here that have in stock ?

JCU Delt Ox

Reaction score
I had a TruXedo Pro X15 on my Platinum Powerboost and just installed another on the Raptor. No issues whatsoever with the power tailgate. You just need to follow the directions when fitting and it will work like it should.

OP
OP
G

G2G3Iconic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Full circle post: Got my Gen3 a few days ago and finally got around to installing my cover I took of my Gen2 (LOMAX hard trifold). Info on this thread is pretty spot on. First off the cover fits just fine no problems with length or width for my specific brand. There are a couple of minor things though:
1. The rim of the bed of the truck up against the cab is not uniform in width as it was on the Gen 2. The topline tapers thinner in the center and wider as it approaches the sides. It may be a non issue for all covers, (I may have a less secure seal in those areas time will tell).
2. The top of the tailgate is wider (my gen 2 didnt have a step), and the step housing is slightly recessed into the top of the tailgate. When I installed the cover there was a tiny gap that may be difficult to seal out the elements. My opinion is that over time the rubber will adapt (it is not a large gap) and it will be a non issue.

Overall I would say that most if not all Gen 2 Covers will work on Gen 3. Just think through the design and the small changes noted above and you are good to go.

Attachments

• IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 94

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Full circle post: Got my Gen3 a few days ago and finally got around to installing my cover I took of my Gen2 (LOMAX hard trifold). Info on this thread is pretty spot on. First off the cover fits just fine no problems with length or width for my specific brand. There are a couple of minor things though:
1. The rim of the bed of the truck up against the cab is not uniform in width as it was on the Gen 2. The topline tapers thinner in the center and wider as it approaches the sides. It may be a non issue for all covers, (I may have a less secure seal in those areas time will tell).
2. The top of the tailgate is wider (my gen 2 didnt have a step), and the step housing is slightly recessed into the top of the tailgate. When I installed the cover there was a tiny gap that may be difficult to seal out the elements. My opinion is that over time the rubber will adapt (it is not a large gap) and it will be a non issue.

Overall I would say that most if not all Gen 2 Covers will work on Gen 3. Just think through the design and the small changes noted above and you are good to go.
Its nice that they recessed the step cap. I ripped the step caps off both of my Gen2 tailgates loading and unloading gear.
I have the "Ford" Retrax Pro RX and its nice. Just cant figure out exactly what accesories work with the T slot.

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP
OP
G

G2G3Iconic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
***One quick edit on my post above. The inside of the rim of the bed at the cab is flat. The taper happens on the outside of the top edge conforming to the curve of the cab. You can see the curve on the cab shot above.

Jake226

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info! Kept my Gen 2 weathertech alloy cover (Lomax rebrand) based off of rumors at the time that it should fit the Gen 3. Glad to hear they will work.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BUMP

I am just preparing for my 22' if and when I actually get it. On my 18' I have the ford offered extang Tri fold. I still need a hard durable secure cover. But I need to change on the 22'. The gen 3 because of the onboard generator inside cab the only storage is the collapsable box. I won't use because it'll take up too much flat area I need. So my thinking was to go with the extang encore because it has front access as well so I can put the TruXedo tonneaumate tool box in there. ( for tow ropes, tie down straps, jumper cables, etc). I am not concerned about a little water since everything I have will be in their own water tight tool boxes. If anybody has any experience with either I would appreciate the input.

Thank you in advance