GEN 2 Battery Sensor Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fyatrk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this didn’t trigger a CEL but I have a B1438-03 error. Anyone seen this before and know of a resolution?

80326a1f3eb10eb21028feb7243a9a29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What screen is that?
Did you upgrade your Sync 3?

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sensor that’s on the battery terminal you posted is the sensor you’re looking for. I would say it’s most likely the sensor starting to fail as I doubt it’s soft set since you haven’t had an issue in all the years you’ve owned it.

OP
OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That sensor that’s on the battery terminal you posted is the sensor you’re looking for. I would say it’s most likely the sensor starting to fail as I doubt it’s soft set since you haven’t had an issue in all the years you’ve owned it.
Well, I am on my 3rd battery... First one went bad, tested bad. Got an Optima that was too small I think, was an H6. That started crapping out a month ago. Just put in a bigger Northstar, so far so good. Not sure how long that fault has been there.

Turbo95max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I am on my 3rd battery... First one went bad, tested bad. Got an Optima that was too small I think, was an H6. That started crapping out a month ago. Just put in a bigger Northstar, so far so good. Not sure how long that fault has been there.

Your problem with killing batteries could be related to a bad battery sensor. I've seen them go bad on other makes and it can give you intermittent symptoms of a bad alternator. In fact we've changed alternators only to find that it was just a bad battery sensor. Always make sure the connections are tight and not corroded/dirty before suspecting its bad. All cars with Auto stop/start feature will have some form of a battery sensor. Auto stop/start will not work with a bad sensor.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you de-activate auto start stop via Forscan? It deactivated the active battery management, which uses the sensor attached to the battery. This is why it is recommended that you attach accessories to the battery after the sensor (so it doesn’t mess up readings).

Just a guess though.

OP
OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you de-activate auto start stop via Forscan? It deactivated the active battery management, which uses the sensor attached to the battery. This is why it is recommended that you attach accessories to the battery after the sensor (so it doesn’t mess up readings).

Just a guess though.
Yes i disabled start/stop via for scan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro