BakFlip BakBox Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spritle

Reaction score
Anyone have one of these and have any ideas on how to fix? Just got one for my new '14 and it keeps falling down no matter how I rig it. Changed the hardware to lock nuts since the clips broke on one of the falls. I haven't even taken it offroad yet, just commuting to and from work so far. Called BakFlip and they're sending me another set of clamps, but those are cheesey crap. Anyone have a fix???

Frustrating....

Attachments

• 20140820_102546[1].jpg
    20140820_102546[1].jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

Mcdonaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sold mine after I bought it same problem kept falling and pissing me off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put mine in the trash and got a real tool box that fits under the cover and between the wheel wells. Now I've got twice as much storage and it's secure. You lose out on bed space but I don't haul that much stuff anyway.

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I gave mine to my dad who is a bit more tame with his usage of the BakBox. it works fine for him in his setup but I will say that he does not put the box under any major strain with his truck. It is primarily a place to put groceries to keep them from sliding around the bed.

OP
OP
Spritle

Spritle

Reaction score
I had a Weatherguard saddle box on there before, but didn't like the look of it and don't need to carry that much stuff. Mainly a small tool bag, jack and some rags/towels. Like I said, haven't even had it off road yet and the damn thing won't stay in place. Only went with BakFlip because of this thing too.

Sounding like I just pissed away $300.

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same issues... Love the BakFlip F1, but really really wish I could have my $$$ back for the BakBox. It's a POS design. Ended up beating / bending the shit out of it until it stayed in place. Now I'm afraid to look at it, in fear that it might fall again.

Mcdonaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sold mine for like $150 on f150 forum. I went to tractor supply and bought a toolbox to go in between the wheel wells its sturdy and secure and can hold a lot been real happy with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Spritle

Spritle

Reaction score
Well, hopefully this thread will come up in a future search and do some good to keep another Raptor owner from making the same mistake. Had a bad feeling from the moment I opened the box too. Thing feels like it should cost $50 and not $300.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had mine in for 2-1/2 years and it's never fallen down once. When you drill the sides to bolt it together you don't want to make it the width of the bed, you want to make it like 1/4" wider than the bed. It makes it a PITA to fit it down between the rails because you can't just slide it straight down since it's now wider than the rails. You have to slide it in from an angle while folded in the closed position so the sides can bend slightly and twist it in just right, but once it's in, the spring pressure from it being "clamped" in place from the outward force holds it in perfectly.

I read review of it falling in before I bought mine so I set the width a little wider like that and it's worked perfectly. What I was going to do if that didn't work was just drill a hole in each rail and stick a pin down through it so it wouldn't be able to fall off either, but I never had to get to that point.

Love the functionality of it, plenty of times over the years I've had to fold it up to fit more crap in the bed in a crunch.

OP
OP
Spritle

Spritle

Reaction score
They must have changed it. Mine did not require drilling, was pre-drilled, and is expanded as wide as it will go. Also, the bottom of the end pieces flare out with any kind of weight in it which can't help with the falling.