Baja Designs XL80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://sdhqoffroad.com/collections...ts/xl-80-led-light-pair?variant=6844673032227

So last night I drove up through Montana and Idaho and it was pretty dark. I have the Eibach coils on the front so the front is higher than stock and the headlights havent been adjusted yet. So lighting was terrible driving through the passes and sometimes was downright dangerous.

So I just ordered these lights to help with driving on the dark roads up here in Idaho.
Did I do good? I take it these are adjustable and easily aimed? I ordered these over the fog pocket kit as I'm not sure if I'll be keeping the stock bumper or not plus I figure these will put more light on the road ahead of me vs the fog pocket kits. I can always buy that kit at a later date but trying not to dump a bunch of $ into lighting atm.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
XL80’s put the squadron’s to shame. It’s almost too much light for the streets because the bounce back from road signs is pronounced. I like wide corner lights for critters on the road side but you need some distance lighting too. I found 5 deer on a run to the airport last night, and 3 on the way back. All with plenty of time to act because I saw them WELL in advance.

OP
OP
F

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully I'll be happy, I think I will. Ill possibly add the fog pocket kit in the future if I decide to keep the stock bumper.

Side note, how easy is it to adjust the stock headlights for now?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’ll defer on stock h/l, I’ve not messed with them.

One thing you could do is do a fog pocket mount, and wire up one set of lights for now. Like I said, I like the wide corner for up close stuff. Light goes everywhere. I had squadron sports up front in wide corner and I could pick out critters from large forest rats to small rodents on the side of the road. Not friendly to oncoming traffic, but lots of in fill light.

VGKRaptor

Reaction score
Hopefully I'll be happy, I think I will. Ill possibly add the fog pocket kit in the future if I decide to keep the stock bumper.

Side note, how easy is it to adjust the stock headlights for now?
Pretty easy, there is a philips screw on top of lights down in a pocket. Pull up to wall about 20’ away give or take and make adjustments. Don’t remember if it’s clock wise or counter. You’ll figure it out

OP
OP
F

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty easy, there is a philips screw on top of lights down in a pocket. Pull up to wall about 20’ away give or take and make adjustments. Don’t remember if it’s clock wise or counter. You’ll figure it out
I aboit stripped out the cheap plastic "screws" , i sprayed them down with a ptfe substance from wd40 and it loosened them up. Ill be making adjustments this evening. Sounds like each side is opposite to turn while adjusting. Hopefully I'll get it done tonight.

OP
OP
F

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll defer on stock h/l, I’ve not messed with them.

One thing you could do is do a fog pocket mount, and wire up one set of lights for now. Like I said, I like the wide corner for up close stuff. Light goes everywhere. I had squadron sports up front in wide corner and I could pick out critters from large forest rats to small rodents on the side of the road. Not friendly to oncoming traffic, but lots of in fill light.
When driving in the city I seem to be ok due to all the light pollution, but once I get out in the country with little to no light plus a big Adventure bike in the bed well then it all went to hell lol. Ill only be using the XL80s when outside the city or off road.

Once I decide if I'm keeping the stock bumper is when I'll decide if I'm adding a fog pocket kit or not, don't want to waste the money if Im not keeping the stock bumper. I figure ill always be able to use the A pillar ligjts.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
XL80 are great but might be overkill for road use. In fact, they surely are. A good fog kit will REALLY make night driving enjoyable again. You'll get usable light for public roads mixed in with some off-road lighting.

XL80 really start stepping it up for REAL off-road lighting. Most of us with lighting on our Raptors do opt for XL80 lights. Most folks start with the reverse, then do the fogs, then start doing grill and pillar lights.

We sell the SDHQ mounts bundled with the XL80 and all harnesses here (for anybody interested): http://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-designs-ford-raptor-2017-xl80-a-pillar-lighting-kit/

As for fog lights, we have some of the best triple fog light kits on the market (and we make our own brackets here on Long Island, with the only Raptor Lifetime guarantee on a set of fog brackets): https://www.4x4truckleds.com/vehicl...2017-2018-f-150-raptor/triple-fog-light-kits/

If you do decide to get a fog kit now AND change your bumper later, you can simply re-use your lighting. The harness we give you is PERFECT to use with the ADD Pro bumpers (especially the bolt on which uses 3 pairs of lights). So you wouldn't be wasting money really.

OP
OP
F

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
XL80 are great but might be overkill for road use. In fact, they surely are. A good fog kit will REALLY make night driving enjoyable again. You'll get usable light for public roads mixed in with some off-road lighting.

XL80 really start stepping it up for REAL off-road lighting. Most of us with lighting on our Raptors do opt for XL80 lights. Most folks start with the reverse, then do the fogs, then start doing grill and pillar lights.

We sell the SDHQ mounts bundled with the XL80 and all harnesses here (for anybody interested): http://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-designs-ford-raptor-2017-xl80-a-pillar-lighting-kit/

As for fog lights, we have some of the best triple fog light kits on the market (and we make our own brackets here on Long Island, with the only Raptor Lifetime guarantee on a set of fog brackets): https://www.4x4truckleds.com/vehicl...2017-2018-f-150-raptor/triple-fog-light-kits/

If you do decide to get a fog kit now AND change your bumper later, you can simply re-use your lighting. The harness we give you is PERFECT to use with the ADD Pro bumpers (especially the bolt on which uses 3 pairs of lights). So you wouldn't be wasting money really.
Noted, sounds like I'll end up purchasing the fog pocket kit in the future. Going to mount these up and go from there.

I'm liking that I can use the fog pocket kit every day though. Sounds like the A pillar kit will work well for the dark night back roads though.

After adjusting my stock lights I have come to the conclusion that the stock Raptor headlights are terrible ughhhh.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah. I mean it's better then halogen BUT not as good as the aftermarket options. Adding fogs REALLY helps. A lot of our customers run the SAE fogs to give them a LITTLE more road-lighting. The nice part is with a triple fog kit, you can really customize what lights to get, based on what works for you.

Check out this video (it's just me driving around) demonstrating various lights:

If you ever want to upgrade your headlights, the Morimotos are popular:

http://www.4x4truckleds.com/morimoto-xb-led-headlights-for-2017-2019-ford-raptor/

You get quad LED projectors which is a huge improvement over your stock lights