Baja Designs XL80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I DEFINITELY need some fogs in Amber so I can utilize those in heavy fog and or dust, so I want that.

So go with Recommendation #1.

Squadron SAE
Squadron SAE, Amber
Squadron Pro, Driving/Combo

Now SAE are not going to be SUPER SUPER bright, as they are fogs don't forget and designed not to blind other drivers. But it's a terrific upgrade/add-on to go with your factory headlights when driving on public roads. Having them in both white and clear lets you pick when to use them. The Squadron Pro Driving/Combos are great for lighting up the road since they are 4900 lumen each and are a combination of wide and spot patterns.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Looking back to your first post, I’d say 2 each:

SAE
wide corner
driving combo.

My rationale is that you’re more concerned about close in light than distance and you have distance covered with the XL80’s.

SAE will keep you “legal” for times when there’s a lot of on coming traffic.

Wide corner will be for times when there’s not a lot of on coming traffic, but you need to see a lot more detail.

Driving combo will push further out but still give you some close in lighting. Not as much as a wide corner set, but good.

The SAE have a good cut off point that is lacking on the other lights so they’re easy to keep out of on coming driver’s eyes.

I would purposefully avoid spot lenses because they won’t buy you much more than the driving combo and you already have XL80s. They will push out further, but you don’t get anywhere near the close in lighting.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It's really up to you :) What do you want.

If you want amber, get amber.

If you want street legal white and street legal amber, then the SAE is the way to go.

If you plan to race with the truck skip everything we said and grab

Squadron Pro WC
Squadron Pro WC Amber
Squadron Pro Racers

That'll be a better setup. The SAEs will not cut it if you are going off-roading, as they are SAE (street legal) lights, which means they are NOT going to throw a ton of light, as they are designed for public road use as FOG LIGHTS (the Squadron SAE are designed to be used as fog lights, and fogs in general are normally not as bright as your headlights)

So if your goal is to light shit up, you want PROS and racers (racers have a pencil thin pattern btw, used for high-speed night driving, but at that point you're going to want more then just racers lighting things up for night racing).

It's a tough decision... keep the lighting for road use OR off-road use.

You could always do

Squadron SAE
Squadron Pro WC Amber
Squadorn Pro Driving/Combo

This way you have your street legal lights, then you have additional lighting for when you're alone or off-road

OP
OP
F

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok how about this...

Squad SAE wide cornering
Squad Pro Amber wide cornering
Squad Pro Driving combo

Is having two of those lights wide cornering going to have negative affects on each other?

When wiring these up should I wire each set of lights on their own switch as opposed to all on/off?

I'm def going to have the XL80s on their own switch.

If you think I can do better than what I wrote please say so. I dont know Jack about the different lights so this is all new to me.
I am open to suggestions.
I guess I only really care about 1 out of the 3 lights being SAE and being on all the time. The other two sets dont have to be SAE and it sounds like I'd need to put those on their own aux switches.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Our harness, included with the kits, is an all-in-one harness that makes installation easy. Each pair of lights gets its own upfitter.

If you're SAE WC are on and you turn your Pro on, they'll wash out the SAE lights since the pros are so much brighter.

Since you plan to do street driving AND off-road driving, that sounds like a fine setup. This way you have your street legal normal fog lights and then extra lighting for off-roading.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ok how about this...

Squad SAE wide cornering
Squad Pro Driving combo

Like Cowboy Coward told Ned Beatty in Deliverance: “Don’t say anything, just DO it!"

Is having two of those lights wide cornering going to have negative affects on each other?

Adam already hit it. You’ll have a lot of overlap with the lights close in and the wide corner will probably wash out the SAE completely, but the white driving combo will be a touch brighter just not as much of it.

When wiring these up should I wire each set of lights on their own switch as opposed to all on/off?

This is going to depend on how you want to configure and use everything. I can see a use case for them individually in some applications. I use mine individually based on need, and in low light with a lot of oncoming traffic all I can really get away with are the SAE but further away from civilization, I can use some extra light on the roads and shut them down for any traffic around.

OP
OP
F

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went ahead and just placed the order 4x4truckleds.com, I went with what I mentioned above.

Squad SAE wide cornering
Squad Pro Driving combo

I might need to swap the XL80 lens out from driving combo to spot after I see how they work. Glad I am able to support a forum sponsor, appreciate it!

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Ok, but no Amber? Won't I want those Amber for dust and fog? I'll be driving down in Mexico for the races and I know that Amber will come in handy.

Just purchase an amber lens cover the you have both clear and when you want amber just pop on the nice covers.

I went BD
SAE wide cornering.
Squadron Pro Driving/Combo
Squadron Pro Spots

And am still deciding whether to go Pro Driving/Combo on the hood. Or XL80'S

S1 for reverse lights.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter