GEN 2 Baja Designs S2 back up lights install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah post pics... also if you want reverse kits but want the S2 Pros, we offer them on our site as an upgrade option (we had a number of requests so we made it real easy now).

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm in the right place...
My present trk has the added reverse lights running off my cargo lights because I also don't want them to come on every time I'm in reverse...can I do this on a Raptor?

When it comes to lighting horsepower I'm a *****...Can you run the S2 Pros with their added wattage off the reverse lights?

Thanks

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I dunno about that. The S2 Pros call for 1.66A each so that's 3.32A total compared to the Sports which are only .9A each (1.8A total)

Kind of a big jump. If you take a factory halogen reverse bulb (Gen 2's have factory LED, but we'll use a factory halogen for arguments sake) which is say 50W that's going to be 4.16A each so that's actually a good amount of power. So if you had factory halogens I don't see why you'd have any issues with a single S2 pro per side.

BUT as I said the Gen2's use LEDs which are a lot less power so I don't know if Ford accounted for a higher amperage bulb. I'd like to think they have the wiring there because why make a whole new wiring harness for BLIS right? But then again this IS Ford where they changed the color scheme from one Gen2 to the next years model...

I'd double check your fuse ratings on your truck first. See what the reverse bulbs call for. IF they have a 5Amp fuse or something in that area, you should be fine. Also check the wire gauge just to verify as well

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got to installing the back bumper and lights today. Can verify that back up and running light taps off trailer connection works fine [emoji106] no jumper or anything needed.

d1e7a25b68bf7723854309ee4c1acadc.jpg

99fbde12f9dc0eec41cf04259e8f7631.jpg

6ef9efd13bd6df65672bf2e106a351b7.jpg

4dc22f68ef6c32a8889034de61b5b263.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sirbentleybleu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the BD reverse kit per the instructions and they do not light up. In addition, the OEM reverse lights also fail to work while the BDs are connected. Once the BDs are disconnected, the OEMs function properly. I understand there are other ways to wire these in, but I want them to work the way BD designed and sold them. Any thoughts?

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the BD reverse kit per the instructions and they do not light up. In addition, the OEM reverse lights also fail to work while the BDs are connected. Once the BDs are disconnected, the OEMs function properly. I understand there are other ways to wire these in, but I want them to work the way BD designed and sold them. Any thoughts?

They are pulling too much power - I used the trailer connection reverse light circuit with some curt wire taps.

CURT 59956 Snap Locks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GN6X10/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

The pic below has 2 because I used the running light wire to power both the S8 back lights and my manual reverse light switch through a relay.

445e8e7ae5af2518110d6dc73b4ba467.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, we run BD lights on our Ultra4 car we sponsor. Naturally, I'll run them on my Raptor :D

Lets begin.
I don't need to tell you WHY you need to run BD, like their moisture barrier, replaceable lenses, fantastic support online and in the pits, and how they truly are the best LED setups IMO you can buy.

These little S2's make more light then the ching chong 36" light bar on my beater toyota. That speaks volumes.

Anyways. Back to install time.

Ford made this little bolt here perfect for these dudes. Unbolt with a T40, slide the bracket in between the metal, and done, son.
I used a 4mm long ball allen to tighten the one next to the exhaust tip. Home brewer's probably wont have this, and you'll either have to **** it to get an allen on it, then tighten the T40 or something. IDK. This is your problem, not mine :D

So, the provided wiring harness is cool to use, and it'll reach if you follow the factory harness.
BD uses weatherpack connections, they are water proof and are easy to use/assemble/work with. You won't have to do anything to modify or make them work.
Mount the lights, plug them in and route accordingly.
Zip tie accordingly, especially around the tow hooks and plug connections.
Double back the extra slack between the wires and zip tie to factory harness near the spare tire.

So, then I was like "self, pull a tail light housing out so you can find the reverse wire"

I looked, and the wiring is very small, say 24 gauge. I didn't like that size for both backup lights and the additional load the S2's would be putting on the wire.

So, I thought "i know where an additional reverse light is.....
So I'm pointing at it, its the middle stud on the tow plug.
Easy!
Pull the tow plug down. pop the plastic trees out of the frame that are attached to the harness to gain room.

Nice write-up.

I also decided not to tap into the little taillight harness. Instead, I used a plug-and-play T-connector for the 7-pin plug and tapped into that wiring so I wasn't actually spicing into the factory wiring. It just makes for a clean removal back to factory if I ever wanted to.

CURT 7-pin plug-and-play T-Connector (P/N: 55384):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009FJ38Q/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

I know this thread is half a year old but I just got around to installing my reverse light kit and these posts helped out a lot. I too had the same concerns both of you had.

1) Didn't feel comfortable splicing into such a tiny gauge wire
2) Didn't want to do any cutting/stripping on anything factory

Using the trailer wiring with the harness linked from Amazon was a perfect solution. All the wiring is tucked away and zip tied between the spare and bumper.

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Sorry about the issue! What year is your truck? Also, you're using the S2 Sports, correct?

Happy to help figure out the issue.

-Bailey, Baja Designs
www.bajadesigns.com