GEN 2 Baja Designs S2 back up lights install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Your response is somewhat confusing in that I have a pair of work/scene lights on order for this exact install. I ordered based upon your website where it says the wide cornering is for lighting zones 1&2 while the work/scene is for zone 7. Can I swap lenses or is it a whole different light?

Did you order our Ford Raptor, Backup Kit ?
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Ford-Raptor-2017-S2-Reverse-Light-Kit.asp

If so, the kit will come with QTY: 2 - S2 Sport in Wide Cornering. If you purchased the Work/Scene lights separately with intentions of installing yourself it can be done. The Wide Cornering will just provide a little bit more usable light in that location since these are mounted so low. If you want to change from the Work/Scene to a Wide Cornering pattern it would involve QTY: 2 - S2 Wide Cornering Lens kit and QTY: 4 S2 Spot Reflectors. It's not a direct lens swap since the reflectors are what controls the pattern on the Work/Scene light.

2017-Raptor-RearS2-L2.jpg

OP
OP
halogrinder

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, ive been putting off wiring this to an upfitters switch and cant seem to find this wire under the hood on the left inner fender where the rear harness comes up from the frame. anyone have access to a harness diagram? Ive found similar trailer harness wiring colors it seems but im not seeing the power on the wire when in reverse.
I'd rather shoot power down the factory trailer hitch reverse wire, rather than running a wire all the way down the truck to the back.

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, ive been putting off wiring this to an upfitters switch and cant seem to find this wire under the hood on the left inner fender where the rear harness comes up from the frame. anyone have access to a harness diagram? Ive found similar trailer harness wiring colors it seems but im not seeing the power on the wire when in reverse.
I'd rather shoot power down the factory trailer hitch reverse wire, rather than running a wire all the way down the truck to the back.

Weird I metered mine the other day just to double check and had power to reverse and running lights.

Maybe this vid will help you get power back there? https://youtu.be/aQmcXSHm7u4

I just ran my up-fitter lines for switch 5 and 6 plus a power line to the rear tonight and it was a pain. I’ll be running 2 rigid cubes and 2 10” S8s. Can’t wait to get them hooked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
halogrinder

halogrinder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird I metered mine the other day just to double check and had power to reverse and running lights.

Maybe this vid will help you get power back there? https://youtu.be/aQmcXSHm7u4

I just ran my up-fitter lines for switch 5 and 6 plus a power line to the rear tonight and it was a pain. I’ll be running 2 rigid cubes and 2 10” S8s. Can’t wait to get them hooked up.

the system works as designed when put into reverse, no problem- and has been.

I want to manually turn them on with an upfitters switch.
The wire for reverse on the trailer plug is grey with a brown trace.... so I found this wire on the left fender plug that comes from the frame harness..... but in reverse the wire isn't powered :confused:
Perhaps there was a wire color change. I guess ill have to put my power probe wire finder on it and see if i can find it that way

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the system works as designed when put into reverse, no problem- and has been.

I want to manually turn them on with an upfitters switch.

The wire for reverse on the trailer plug is grey with a brown trace.... so I found this wire on the left fender plug that comes from the frame harness..... but in reverse the wire isn't powered :confused:

Perhaps there was a wire color change. I guess ill have to put my power probe wire finder on it and see if i can find it that way

I see - yea I just wired a 5 pin relay for it but I ran the up-fitter wire to the rear which is what you’re trying to avoid. Not sure if that wire you’re looking for is in the bundle of wires the guy mentions in the video I linked.

Raptorx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of just running the s2 back up lights right to the uplifter switch (6) and just turn them on when I need to. I don’t want to have them come on every time I put the truck into reverse. I am sure it will be a pain to run run the wiring from the back to the front, but once it’s done it’s done.

Helopilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics and tutorial Halo! I tapped into the trailer backup light wire that you pointed out. The lights work perfectly and I have no indication from the truck that it thinks a trailer is hooked up. When I put it into reverse they light up and as soon as I’m out of reverse they are off. Where I live most of my backing is done in absolute darkness (unless there is a full moon) and these lights are an incredible help for backing. The camera view is much improved and so is using the mirrors and looking outside.

I took the advice of 3 other posters and (1) sprayed the silver mounts with black bed liner spray, (2) put some anti-seize on the threads of the mount screws, (3) used a dremel tool to cut down an Allen wrench so it would fit between the mount and the tailpipe. In my experience the hardest part was getting the damn thread to catch on the tailpipe side of the mount. Once I got the screw started the rest was easy.

And finally, thanks goes to Alternative Offroad for their Black Friday/cyber Monday deal on the kit along with the free shipping!

Last edited:

Sabbadoo

Reaction score
Mounted mine today and boy was it a challenge getting the bolt started and the lock washer seated. Exercise in patience. Needless to say they’re mounted and look fantastic. Tomorrow I wire. If life lets me

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mounted mine today and boy was it a challenge getting the bolt started and the lock washer seated. Exercise in patience. Needless to say they’re mounted and look fantastic. Tomorrow I wire. If life lets me

Post some pictures when you can. We'd love to see it!

-Bailey, Baja Designs
www.bajadesigns.com