Auto stop eliminator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since they are both $99 what are the pros and cons CANopener vs. Autostop Eliminator?

I have never done the CANOpener thing, so I am just going on what I have seen about that. I have the AE installed, and I did do the “unplug the connector thing” to try it.

The unplug the connector hack works, and is easy and cheap. However, I do tow periodically and did not want to have to plug and unplug the connector each time I hooked up a trailer. So I needed another option. And I did not like how clunky that approach was, unplugging and plugging back in a connector to use features of the vehicle, it just felt like I spent a lot of money on this truck to use it like I would a 1974 Pinto or something.

CANOpener Pros:
- You don’t have to use tools or take apart the dash, just plug it into the OBD2 port, let it flash the system, and AutoStop is eliminated.

CANOpener Cons:
- You don’t have the option to turn on the AutoStop feature. Not much of a Con to most folks, they tend to either want the thing active or simply never want to deal with it again.
- The dash gives you an incorrect indication, every time you come to a stop it tells you it would like to AutoStop the motor, but is unable to at this time.
- To put the system back to normal (say to take it in for warrantee work) you have to run the CANOpener again. If you misplace the CANOpener you cannot reverse the issue.

AutoStop Eliminator Pros:
- The most factory feeling option. From the user standpoint the only thing that changes is that the vehicle now remembers its last state and restarts in that state. If you shut the AS feature off using the original Ford panel button it will remain off, through unlimited vehicle restarts, until you turn the system back on using the original panel button.

- This is the way Ford should have made it work.

- It can be removed with no indication it was ever in place, should you have a need to.

AutoStop Eliminator Cons:
- You must dismantle part of the dash to install it. This is as simple as removing 2 screws, and can be done in less than 10 minutes, but not everyone wants to do so.

The “remove the plug” hack is the cheapest.
The CANOpener is the simplest.
The AutoStop Eliminator is the most OEM feeling and versatile.

T!

Last edited:

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When unplugging the black plug on the trailer brake module do you still see the Auto Stop Start light/icon come on when you come to a stop like the CanOpener?

Yes, unplugging the little black plug lights up the Auto Stop Off icon in the dash display when you first start the engine, are in park, or at a complete stop with your foot on the brake. It does not light up the amber LED on the Auto Stop button in the center stack. So far I have not noticed any issues. Of course the Auto Stop button no longer works while the little plug is unplugged.

With Auto Stop Eliminator, the new button and its LED work correctly. What Auto Stop Eliminator does is retain the Off state of the button when you shutdown and restart the engine. I think the dash icon also correctly displays Off state when the button is off and its LED is lit.

You can disable Auto Stop with FORESCAN but it stays off all the time. CanOpener is the same. You have to run it again to reprogram Auto Stop to work again. Don't know about the icon for these 2 options.

And everything OriginalToken says above. The AutoStop Eliminator is my favorite and how Ford should have built it if the Regulators allowed.

Aloha, HT

Last edited:

Turbo s

Reaction score
Thanks for the write ups Original Token and Hawaiian Time. Much appreciated! As much as I hate digging into the dash of a brand new Raptor I think I will go with the AutoStop Eliminator! Like you guys said "works the way Ford should have built it"

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries Turbo s. I'll probably install the Auto Stop Eliminator Button myself too. The cable unplug was a way to do it immediately because I always forget to press the button until the first time the engine shuts off. IRRITATING! But, it can save a little gas in Stop & Go traffic I guess so I would like to be able to turn it back on sometimes, especially when you are sitting in traffic at a dead stop for minutes at a time.

I think the company that sells Auto Stop Eliminator or CJ Pony Parts sells a plastic trim removal tool kit for $10 for the Raptor Centor Stack. I got one but tint or bondo plastic squeeges will work too just to prevent scratches. There are several YouTube videos and how to do it. I'll prolly upgrade my Center Channel Speaker while I'm in there. After Tax Refund....

I found that letting up the brake pedal just a hair but not enough for the truck to move will restart the engine. These conditions also disable Auto Stop: initial warmup, hi fan for heat with defrost, Sport mode, Tow mode, Max A/C with hi fan. Maybe others too?

Last edited:

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been almost 3 weeks now since unplugging and no issues whatsoever...everything works fine and no more Auto Stop/Start to hassle with.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been almost 3 weeks now since unplugging and no issues whatsoever...everything works fine and no more Auto Stop/Start to hassle with.

If you never tow this is probably an excellent answer. However, when I tried it the AutoStop unable icon that flashed on at almost every stop annoyed me.

T!

Turbo s

Reaction score
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered the AutoStop Eliminator. Found it on eBay for $94.99 & Free Shipping. It will be here Monday. I will do an update once I do the install.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you never tow this is probably an excellent answer. However, when I tried it the AutoStop unable icon that flashed on at almost every stop annoyed me.

T!

I tow periodically, and just plug it back in. Does exactly what I want it to do, for free. Just not worth $100 to me, YMMV.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
So bringing this back from the dead because Auto Stop now has a deal that plugs into the diagnostic port and stays there. My fear with something this is:
- Forgot it was installed and take the truck in for service and have them void the warranty
- It actually leaves a trail on the computer and have that void the warranty.

Thoughts?

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/.../products/2015-ford-f-150-autostop-eliminator

Denvertaco07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you brought it back from the dead...

I mean, I guess I'm on the fence right now with this feature, and probably wouldn't spend any money on it. If it saves me gas money (which i'm sure might isn't much), then why not. If you don't like it, turn it off with the button, or keep it in sport mode? I'm just not sure it's worth time or money to really change, but I get people don't like it.