Around we go again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVTGUY21

Reaction score
Bottom line, I have the itch to get a new truck. It is a want not a need, I can afford almost anything other than the Raptor R. Cost of ownership is a factor but not a big deal. I typically own vehicles for a year, grow bored, and off load them. I don't do anything off road and typically use the trucks for hauling crap and people.

Questions-What is it going to be, TRX LVII, Raptor 37, or GM AT4X? I have leads on these three trucks below sticker (TRX), @ sticker (AT4X), and 1k over sticker (raptor 37). The Toyota tundra is off the list, dealers are not budging on market adjustment!! Nissan's look awkward ducks and have terrible reviews.....

Right now I am in 14 Raptor w/63k. Gen 1 is a solid rig, stepping down in the "bells and whistles" department hasn't been bad. Paying for the MPG on the old V8 isn't bad either, I do wish you got a little more grunt for the 12mpg.. I'm pursing the off-road trucks for esthetic reason only, anyone using these 100k truck as design has either too much money or set of balls that rivals Randy Marsh.

I've owned:
22 Tremor- Lemon. Straight production garbage. Cool features, would have kept if Ford didn't buy it back.
21 Ram Lv II-Interior was out of this world, wow'd me almost every day. winter mpg @ 9.5mpg sucked, always afraid of scratching or denting it.
19 Raptor Gen2- Cool truck, got bored. Didn't wow me.
18 Jeep Gladiator-if you can call that a truck

Thoughts? Comments?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Don’t pay over MSRP for any Raptor, especially now. It’s money not well spent. If you’re not off roading then there’s no reason you can’t strike a deal or walk, period. If you can get the TRX below sticker, DO IT.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
Of the 3 you listed, the TRX may be the most fun to drive (700hp… just saying). The Raptor on 37’s would be a better off road choice, but since you don’t go much past a Starbucks driveway, that doesn’t sound like an issue. The AT4X is cool, but it’s over $90,000 when you add the AEV stuff (to me it’s a must).

To me it’s Raptor on 37’s or the TRX. Because you haven‘t had a Raptor on 37’s I’d say go that route. You already had a TRX and that obviously didn’t last long.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With the new emission standards we won’t be able to buy these hot rods.
according to the EPA's estimates, up to 67% of new vehicles sold in 2032 may have to be electric in order for carmakers to be in compliance.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like TRX FTW to me ... but IMO the Japanese don't get trucks and GM ... well, let's just say they're not for me. But since all you care about is looks, choose whatever looks good to you. Looks are subjective, but if you ask me, TRX because gen 2 didn't wow you and gen 3 looks almost as good. The TRX does look fat. But it's the same kind of fat as that big girl who drank heavily and was a lot of fun to ride. :)

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like TRX FTW to me ... but IMO the Japanese don't get trucks and GM ... well, let's just say they're not for me. But since all you care about is looks, choose whatever looks good to you. Looks are subjective, but if you ask me, TRX because gen 2 didn't wow you and gen 3 looks almost as good. The TRX does look fat. But it's the same kind of fat as that big girl who drank heavily and was a lot of fun to ride. :)
So, just drink heavily when you purchase.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Given the description you gave for how you use a truck and your admission that you want (not need) an off-road vehicle for "aesthetic" reasons only, it is absolutely clear why you trade your off-road trucks so readily. You don't need an off-road vehicle. Neither do you need to pay the premium for off-road capabilities at the point of purchase, nor the associated penalty in operating costs and insurance. I therefore suggest that you consider broadening your market search to find a vehicle that actually meets your needs and satisfies your expectations.

OP
OP
S

SVTGUY21

Reaction score
lol. Thanks in general for not throwing too much shade my way. For what it’s worth I have 06 LJ on tons and 40s. For me wheeling is off-roading

OP
OP
S

SVTGUY21

Reaction score
Given the description you gave for how you use a truck and your admission that you want (not need) an off-road vehicle for "aesthetic" reasons only, it is absolutely clear why you trade your off-road trucks so readily. You don't need an off-road vehicle. Neither do you need to pay the premium for off-road capabilities at the point of purchase, nor the associated penalty in operating costs and insurance. I therefore suggest that you consider broadening your market search to find a vehicle that actually meets your needs and satisfies your expectations.
Very fair