Are there any grease fittings that need basic maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I forgot to look when i did my first oil change. Do we have any fittings that need to be greased on the suspension?

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
That’s one thing that bugs me about stock parts, repacements usury have them. Designed to fail?

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s one thing that bugs me about stock parts, repacements usury have them. Designed to fail?

Correct

All parts have a failure rate. I had a Ford Windstar van, and took it in just for a tune up. My neighbors kid happened to be the Ford repair guy. He called me, said that Van has a transmission with plastic parts, they all, and I mean all go bad at 100k miles. He recommended we sell, as the Van was at 90k miles.

I sold, and its taken me this long to go back to a Ford Product, 20 years.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Well, greasing a zerk can push dirt into the joint if not 100% clean. Drilling a u-joint for a zerk fitting is a perfect place for it to crack. Nobody puts greasable u-joints in a high power application for just that reason.

People don't seem to be up in arms about sealed wheel bearings compared to the old in-rotor type.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old school maintenance: Nothing wrong with making sure if there's other things to check for or to perform. So we do more maintenance with less overall vehicle cost.

New school maintenance: Designed to withstand plenty of abuse having longer life with better materials for parts. So we do less maintenance with more overall vehicle cost.

I was QUITE surprised as to the recommended servicing/maintenance intervals in the Owner's Manual. I mean have we really gotten to a point were sparkplugs can go 100k??

Yes I know it's not a perfect world but the intervals and maintenance we are getting to are kind of scary.

@EricM is on point with what I'm thinking. Last thing I want to be doing is tearing down wheel bearings to inspect and pack with grease. I did enough of that in Army aviation.

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
cool.....so the only thing I am missing by not taking my dealer up on the "free" oil changes is tire rotation.

Obviously, i can do the tire rotation myself, but it is a major hassle on the raptor. i don't have a floor jack with the lift needed.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was QUITE surprised as to the recommended servicing/maintenance intervals in the Owner's Manual. I mean have we really gotten to a point were sparkplugs can go 100k??

Changed them in my old F150 at 90K miles. Pulled some out of a co-workers Focus with 114K on them. A fine wire iridium plug lasts a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter