Are Ford Protect Plans worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Considering a new transmission and engine... are they worth it?

I work for a dealer so I get employee pricing in service. Even with that I usually buy a warranty.

Couple things you should think about. First off are you going to mod the truck in any way? If you're going to do anything motor wise like a CAI or a tune you could run into grief with the warranty coverage, just like factory. Also you don't need to buy the warranty right away. Ford lets you buy the new vehicle warranty plans up to the point where the factory 3/36 expires. So maybe ride out the factory period and see what kind of issues are cropping up for people.

With all of the new technology on this truck, the warranty is probably well worth the money.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes. Warranties are well worth it. Aftermarket mods like CAI, tires, wheels, exhaust, etc do not affect warranty. Things like tuners might. One IWE visit or a transmission issue down the road will pay for themselves with a warranty.

Look back through some of the threads regarding repairs, and you will see that warranty coverage can and will be invaluable.....

OP
OP
A

akaie15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work for a dealer so I get employee pricing in service. Even with that I usually buy a warranty.

Couple things you should think about. First off are you going to mod the truck in any way? If you're going to do anything motor wise like a CAI or a tune you could run into grief with the warranty coverage, just like factory. Also you don't need to buy the warranty right away. Ford lets you buy the new vehicle warranty plans up to the point where the factory 3/36 expires. So maybe ride out the factory period and see what kind of issues are cropping up for people.

With all of the new technology on this truck, the warranty is probably well worth the money.

Yes. Warranties are well worth it. Aftermarket mods like CAI, tires, wheels, exhaust, etc do not affect warranty. Things like tuners might. One IWE visit or a transmission issue down the road will pay for themselves with a warranty.

Look back through some of the threads regarding repairs, and you will see that warranty coverage can and will be invaluable.....

I appreciate the input...

Follow up question

What about maintenance?

Tire or triple care?

Thanks in advance.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I appreciate the input...

Follow up question

What about maintenance?

Tire or triple care?

Thanks in advance.

We sell a lot of tire and wheel care and we have a lot of those customers use it. Depends on how you drive. I don't buy that because I'm very cautious about how and where I drive. My parents on the other hand buy it and have used it.

Most Ford dealerships have a program that you get coupons towards maintenance plus you get every 5th change free. Those benefits usually make it cheaper than the maintenance plan cost.

jz1

Reaction score
Think about it. Warranties are one of the most profitable things dealers sell. What does that tell you about whether it's worth it for the buyer? Depends on your personal situation but I think you'd be better off taking the $1-2K the warranty costs and putting it into a savings account or even mutual fund and if car breaks, use that $$ to fix. Maybe the repair costs more, maybe not. If not, you come out ahead. The probability is you win otherwise dealers would be losing money and would stop selling them or raise the prices.

That said they can sometimes help resale more than the cost of the warranty if you go to sell depending on how much coverage is left.

Tonecapone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have Geico auto insurance the policy on new cars under 12 months old comes with 7 year 100K warranty. They call it mechanical breakdown insurance but it covers bumper to bumper justlike the ford esp and you can take it to any repair shop you like. I did the math and I think the cost is 4 bucks a month for the coverage. Its one of the reasons that I have stuck with Gieco for so long.
Tone

armyturtle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have Geico auto insurance the policy on new cars under 12 months old comes with 7 year 100K warranty. They call it mechanical breakdown insurance but it covers bumper to bumper justlike the ford esp and you can take it to any repair shop you like. I did the math and I think the cost is 4 bucks a month for the coverage. Its one of the reasons that I have stuck with Gieco for so long.
Tone
Holy shit, I had no idea this existed! Why doesn't everyone do this?? I'm inclined to change my insurance to Geico for this alone! Anyone have an argument against this coverage? I just watched a short promotional video they have on this page and it looks legit: https://www.geico.com/auto-insurance/mechanical-breakdown-insurance/

I'd love to hear dissenting opinions on this. Please.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Holy shit, I had no idea this existed! Why doesn't everyone do this?? I'm inclined to change my insurance to Geico for this alone! Anyone have an argument against this coverage? I just watched a short promotional video they have on this page and it looks legit: https://www.geico.com/auto-insurance/mechanical-breakdown-insurance/

I'd love to hear dissenting opinions on this. Please.
I've had the Geico mechanical breakdown coverage on a previous truck, before they capped it at 100k miles. It was easy to make claims. I had to get a new transmission at 45k with no issues.

One thing to note, it's not transferable. And if you move out of state, you can lose it. They may have changed that, but that was the case for me 9 years back.

The warranty is worth it in my opinion. In the past I would have said no, and I typically don't buy warranties on things. But the warranty on my Raptor, 7 yr 125k miles, has paid for itself many many many times over. I've had 4 steering racks replaced, it's a ~$2000 job.
@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby: :baby:
Drive your raptor here!!!!
www.runraptorrun.com
( * Y * )