ARB Twin compressor install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawaiiStevo

Reaction score
Has anybody installed an ARB twin compressor using the up fitter switches? It appears the amp draw is to high. Called ARB and they said the 15amp switch should be ok. They suggested a mount kit with a harness that allows you to plug/connect into the factory up fitter wiring (found on suspension superstore.com) It actually mounts in the bed using one of the bed cleats. I saw a thread from someone who mounted it under the rear pax seat.

Specifically what I'm looking for is
A) can you hook up compressor to up fitter switches and how ie. make your own harness, etc
B) where is the best place to mount? I realize there is a trade off for in cabin mounting or under frame.

Any help would really be appreciated!

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know what the amperage draw for the ARB unit, but I think there are several models, each drawing a different amount...
Here's how to do it and not worry a bit - install a 30/40 amp relay as many have done for lights...

OP
OP
HawaiiStevo

HawaiiStevo

Reaction score
Ok, just to be clear, can I install a 30/40 amp relay to the power circuit from the compressor to the up fitter 15 amp lead and then connect the black lead to ground and call it a day? excuse my ignorance, just wanted to be clear

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, just to be clear, can I install a 30/40 amp relay to the power circuit from the compressor to the up fitter 15 amp lead and then connect the black lead to ground and call it a day? excuse my ignorance, just wanted to be clear

If you use a relay harness, you can and should connect it to one of the 5 amp switches as all you need is enough current to trip the relay switch, which is very little. Save the 15 amp switches for something that needs more juice but doesn’t necessarily need a relay.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you use a relay harness, you can and should connect it to one of the 5 amp switches as all you need is enough current to trip the relay switch, which is very little. Save the 15 amp switches for something that needs more juice but doesn’t necessarily need a relay.

Good advice...BTW most Bosch type relays only pull about 250 milli amps (.250) for the control side...

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just an FYI for anyone else looking at these compressors. I looked up the spec sheet on the CKMTA12 model and it has a current draw of 28.4 amps. So you absolutely positively cannot wire it directly to any of the upfitter switches and NEED to use a relay harness in between.

Mspeed

Reaction score
Wait I have the ARB twin compressor. It already has to relays built in. It also has 2 power wire the go directly to the battery. The purple wire is the switch. I don't see why the 5 amp switch wouldn't work if it gets power directly from the battery.