ARB Twin compressor install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wait I have the ARB twin compressor. It already has to relays built in. It also has 2 power wire the go directly to the battery. The purple wire is the switch. I don't see why the 5 amp switch wouldn't work if it gets power directly from the battery.

If that's how it's configured from the factory then as long as you install it correctly and connect direct to battery instead of the switch the 5 amp would absolutely work.

OP
OP
HawaiiStevo

HawaiiStevo

Reaction score
Yup, I believe Mspeed is right regarding the relays built into the control circuit of the compressor. I went online and found the company (Bajamod)that makes a simple looking aluminum tray that mounts in the cab under the right rear pax seat next to the inverter. They also provide a simple schematic that show the power coming directly from the battery with a separate control circuit. My question now is what is the amp draw of the control circuit. I guess I will wire it up and put a meter on to find out. I would like to use the lowest rated up fitter switch to save the 10 and 15 amp switch for other applications. Thanks for everyones help and input !

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have one of these I pulled out of my Jeep and I am going to install it in the Raptor. I just looked at the ARB switch. It is rated for 20 amps. However there are 5 wires attached to it. One is for the light, and I believe it is a double poll switch so it turns on both compressors at the same time. So you could use 2 10 amp switches to power both compressors. I believe that is how I will do it, but I can't get to it until after Christmas.
It makes sense that they use "two switches" (built into the one) to control the compressors, as there are two power feeds with two fuses, so I think in effect you have two separate compressors feeding into one manifold. In fact one time I had one compressor fail and the other one still worked fine.
My 2 cents.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup, I believe Mspeed is right regarding the relays built into the control circuit of the compressor. I went online and found the company (Bajamod)that makes a simple looking aluminum tray that mounts in the cab under the right rear pax seat next to the inverter. They also provide a simple schematic that show the power coming directly from the battery with a separate control circuit. My question now is what is the amp draw of the control circuit. I guess I will wire it up and put a meter on to find out. I would like to use the lowest rated up fitter switch to save the 10 and 15 amp switch for other applications. Thanks for everyones help and input !

Control circuits typically use next to nothing, I don't think you'll have any issues at all running it off the 5a switches.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a Viair 88P which works just fine for filling up the tires...I keep it under the passenger seat in an ammo can and pull it out when needed...if that's all you are looking to do with the ARB.

For the ARB you could also mount the single version in the engine bay.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you are going from around 14 to around 34 with 35" tires the single will take quite a while. The twin is much better. I use the single on my 31" RZR tires, but that is to do from 7 to 15 psi.

jpv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have/had mine hooked up to one of the upfitter switches (#2 if I remember correctly - I took it out all since I'm waiting on my buyback check). Anyway, to answer your questions:

A) can you hook up compressor to up fitter switches and how ie. make your own harness, etc
Yes you can, no need to make a harness. Everything is included in the box when you purchased the compressor. I believe it was the purple wire from the thin harness they provided is what is wired up to the switch.

B) where is the best place to mount? I realize there is a trade off for in cabin mounting or under frame.
I used the BajaMod mount and was mounted under the rear passenger seat. You'll need to extend all power and ground wires to make it to the battery.

FoShizzle

Reaction score
I installed the ARB twin compressor a couple months ago. Just to re-iterate what some have stated:
1. The 2 heavy gauge red power wires CANNOT be wired directly to an uplifter switch. They MUST be attached directly to the battery.
2. The heavy black (ground) is meant to go directly to the battery as well.
3. The thin purple wire is the remote turn-on (i.e. relay). THIS is what you wire to an uplifter switch. In my case I used switch 6 (5amps) which is more than sufficient.

Robbh

Reaction score
Mspeed is correct. the power draw comes from separate wires that go directly to the battery. The leads to the up fitter is only for turning it off and one. very little amps go through that. I have it on up fitter 4. I installed the ARB in the rear riverside fender well between the bed and the outside fender. works great!IMG_7881.jpegIMG_7882.jpegIMG_7883.jpeg

jpv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is correct.

I installed the ARB twin compressor a couple months ago. Just to re-iterate what some have stated:
1. The 2 heavy gauge red power wires CANNOT be wired directly to an uplifter switch. They MUST be attached directly to the battery.
2. The heavy black (ground) is meant to go directly to the battery as well.
3. The thin purple wire is the remote turn-on (i.e. relay). THIS is what you wire to an uplifter switch. In my case I used switch 6 (5amps) which is more than sufficient.