Anyone looking for a Bronco?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Be careful when buying a Bronco or Ranger. The 2.3L EcoBoost engine in the Ranger (and almost certainly also in the Bronco base model) is poorly designed to accommodate normal scheduled maintenance. The oil filter is not accessible from the hood or from under the vehicle. To change the oil filter, you must remove the front driver's-side tire and the wheel well liner. No kidding.

The 2.7L EB engine in the up-priced Bronco models has a canister oil filter that is accessible under the hood. This is not a steel can spin-on filter, it is a bare-naked filter element that lives under a filter cover. It's kind of old school, but the Toyota Tacoma has the same kind of filter setup. The odd thing about the 2.7L EB (and this might also be so for the 2.3L EB) on the Bronco is that the oil drain plug is PLASTIC, and the seal is an O-ring rather than a copper crush washer. It won't be reusable for long, and at least one source says to replace it with every oil change.

Just FYI.

Last edited:

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Be careful when buying a Bronco or Ranger. The 2.3L EcoBoost engine in the Ranger (and almost certainly also in the Bronco) is poorly designed to accommodate normal scheduled maintenance. The oil filter is not accessible from the hood or from under the vehicle. To change the oil filter, you must remove the front driver's-side tire and the wheel well lining. No kidding. I don't know about the 2.7 EB engine available in the up-price Bronco models - it may have the same "design feature" as the 2.3L - but certainly put eyes on the oil filter before you buy.
That’s idiotic - remove the wheel to get to the filter. WTF we’re they thinking?

We ordered the 2.7 and the filter is up top in the engine bays

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s idiotic - remove the wheel to get to the filter. WTF we’re they thinking?

We ordered the 2.7 and the filter is up top in the engine bays
I certainly agree with you! I discovered that little factoid in the showroom of a Ford dealership. I popped the hood and couldn't find the oil filter. Then I slid under the truck, and I still couldn't find it. While I was under there a salesman walked up and asked if he could help me. I slid back out from under the vehicle and said, "Yeah, where is the oil filter?" He couldn't find it either, so he pulled out his phone and only then was able to point out the oil filter peeking out from under the front left rubber wheel well liner. Only the merest edge of the butt end of the filter was visible. I couldn't get a hand on it.

Since you ordered a 2.7L Bronco, I'll fill you in on that plastic oil drain plug. It does not screw in. It attaches via a 1/4 or 1/2 turn bayonet-type setup. Two tabs are cast into the pan, and the drain plug has two plastic fingers that engage them. Break one of those fingers, and you're off to the Ford dealership for a replacement in a different vehicle because it's a fair bet that the auto parts store would have to order it. I'd get a replacement from the parts desk at your dealership the day I picked up the Bronco. It won't be easy to verify at the dealership because a "splash guard" must be removed before you can drain the oil. You might be able to put eyes on it if you bring a flashlight and don't mind sliding under the vehicle right there at the dealership. Look for a yellow plastic plug on the engine drain pan.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I certainly agree with you! I discovered that little factoid in the showroom of a Ford dealership. I popped the hood and couldn't find the oil filter. Then I slid under the truck, and I still couldn't find it. While I was under there a salesman walked up and asked if he could help me. I slid back out from under the vehicle and said, "Yeah, where is the oil filter?" He couldn't find it either, so he pulled out his phone and only then was able to point out the oil filter peeking out from under the front left rubber wheel well liner. Only the merest edge of the butt end of the filter was visible. I couldn't get a hand on it.

Since you ordered a 2.7L Bronco, I'll fill you in on that plastic oil drain plug. It does not screw in. It attaches via a 1/4 or 1/2 turn bayonet-type setup. Two tabs are cast into the pan, and the drain plug has two plastic fingers that engage them. Break one of those fingers, and you're off to the Ford dealership for a replacement in a different vehicle because it's a fair bet that the auto parts store would have to order it. I'd get a replacement from the parts desk at your dealership the day I picked up the Bronco. It won't be easy to verify at the dealership because a "splash guard" must be removed before you can drain the oil. You might be able to put eyes on it if you bring a flashlight and don't mind sliding under the vehicle right there at the dealership. Look for a yellow plastic plug on the engine drain pan.
I always kept a spare plastic drain plug on hand when I had my 2017 Raptor with the plastic oil pan and drain plug. My 2020 has a metal oil pan and drain plug.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Thanks for the info. I got lucky with the metal pan in my 18 - it still needs a Fumoto valve.

I plan on getting a Ronin plug for the Bronco. Not worth all the stress/bs with the plastic plug.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are tons of Broncos advertised on car sale sites for MSRP and the vast majority of them are just fishing for interest before popping the potential customer for an ADM.

As for the oil filter and drain plug points, this kind of thing has been around for decades and is no reason to avoid either Bronco engine. How many owners are doing their own oil changes anyway? I just drop mine off at the Ford dealer when it's time, just like most.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Be careful when buying a Bronco or Ranger. The 2.3L EcoBoost engine in the Ranger (and almost certainly also in the Bronco base model) is poorly designed to accommodate normal scheduled maintenance. The oil filter is not accessible from the hood or from under the vehicle. To change the oil filter, you must remove the front driver's-side tire and the wheel well liner. No kidding.

The 2.7L EB engine in the up-priced Bronco models has a canister oil filter that is accessible under the hood. This is not a steel can spin-on filter, it is a bare-naked filter element that lives under a filter cover. It's kind of old school, but the Toyota Tacoma has the same kind of filter setup. The odd thing about the 2.7L EB (and this might also be so for the 2.3L EB) on the Bronco is that the oil drain plug is PLASTIC, and the seal is an O-ring rather than a copper crush washer. It won't be reusable for long, and at least one source says to replace it with every oil change.

Just FYI.

I just got through watching a video on the 2.3 liter Bronco oil change and you do not have to remove the wheel or the wheel well. This is wrong but the new plug at the end seems to be a part of normal oil changes so you will want to pick one up from the dealer if doing this your self.