Anyone having issues with GPS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove about 4 hours home the other day and halfway home, the GPS had no idea where I was (showing me in another state). My SYNC is updated and the truck is a 2020 (4K miles).

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Problems with GPS? Yeah, since ... I don’t know... 1998. been lost in every state on the east coast of the US and 5 European countries all with the benefit of GPS

I think I have read about this with sync before. Maybe try a master reset.

D

Deleted member 17706

Problems with GPS? Yeah, since ... I don’t know... 1998. been lost in every state on the east coast of the US and 5 European countries all with the benefit of GPS

I think I have read about this with sync before. Maybe try a master reset.

^^^^^ What he said. CarPlay is the way to go. Ford can’t compete with the tech and engineering that Apple, Android, Google, and Waze has put into their map technology/apps. It was a wise move for automakers to incorporate CarPlay into their vehicles. It wouldn’t surprise me if eventually automakers just start using CarPlay as the sole method for navigation.

LOL I wonder how much Ford invests annually into their navigation technology.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I once had a Garmin get confused with north with south and god knows what it else it would have led me to. Luckily it was daylight so I knew it was wrong. Did a restart and it fixed itself right away. I would do a reset like was suggested.

Last edited:

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^^^^ What he said. CarPlay is the way to go. Ford can’t compete with the tech and engineering that Apple, Android, Google, and Waze has put into their map technology/apps. It was a wise move for automakers to incorporate CarPlay into their vehicles. It wouldn’t surprise me if eventually automakers just start using CarPlay as the sole method for navigation.

LOL I wonder how much Ford invests annually into their navigation technology.
When using CarPlay or android auto the truck uses the built in gps chip. Not the one in the phone.
I had this issues a year ago. GPS would just take off randomly, try to use CarPlay and it kept the same location.

They replaced a module and it’s been fine since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So can anyone tell me how you go about updating the GPS on a 2014 Gen1? Seems half the locations I try and enter it either wont take or doesnt have a clue...other day was sitting right down the block from location and it couldnt find it...figure because it was a "newer" street & store...and is still using 2014 settings....
Something a non geek can do,or take to a Stereo store...? please dont tell me to go to the dealer...lol...
Thanks

NMSports

Reaction score
For several months mine would freeze, get lost, etc. The whole sync would freeze up sometimes. It would even think I was in another place upon restarting the truck. I took video of the situation and took it in. Luckily it was also frozen in another county when I dropped it off for service. My whole system (in the dash) was replaced under warranty. The GPS module had failed.
I highly recommend video of the issue. If a dealer can't recreate the issue, they won't fix anything. But the video is pretty irrefutable.
Resetting and updating the SYNC system did not help.

Kyoroogi

Reaction score
So far 3 times after remote starting the no GPS icon would be on and after connecting a new factory iPhone cable it would not connect to Apple Car Play. A quick Ggogle search suggested I do a Master reset by pressing and holding the power and fast forward buttons until it shuts off. Once it restarts everything goes back to normal.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So can anyone tell me how you go about updating the GPS on a 2014 Gen1? Seems half the locations I try and enter it either wont take or doesnt have a clue...other day was sitting right down the block from location and it couldnt find it...figure because it was a "newer" street & store...and is still using 2014 settings....
Something a non geek can do,or take to a Stereo store...? please dont tell me to go to the dealer...lol...
Thanks
You can go on the ford website and purchase a map update. They will ship it to you on a usb stick. Plug in and it will update. It’s about $100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk