Anyone go from a Gen 3 Raptor to EV Lightning ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts from someone that actually owns both a Raptor (I'm on my 3rd one since 2011) AND an EV. My wife wanted an EV as her next vehicle and I suggested we get the Ford Mach E GT and we ordered and received it at the end of 2021. The acceleration and torque in an EV is a lot of fun and addictive. The Mach-E will beat my Coyote-powered Shelby Cobra replica to 60, no doubt, but that is mostly because I wouldn't be able to get the traction needed to keep up. With the EV you just point it and stomp it and and it grips and goes like a scalded cat. They are nice daily drivers if you fit the profile:

1) You have a home and a 240V Level 2 charger where you can plug it in every night.
2) Your average daily driving range is under 200 miles per day.
3) You like tech and tinkering with a tablet and get excited about software updates.
4) You have an additional ICE vehicle for long trips or when you don't want the hassle of charging on the road.

If you live where it gets below freezing, keep in mind you will lose on average about 20% range in the cold (not 50% as some have stated). If you plan to tow with the Lightning - don't. Towing with an EV sucks. It will drop your range down to something like 90 miles before you need to charge. If you plan to use a public charger, go to https://www.plugshare.com/ and plug in your zip code. Set the filters to CCS plug and look for chargers > 70kW for fast charging. I think the Ford EV's can handle up to 150kW. Anything less than 50kW is slow and sucks. In my area, there are NO public chargers > 50kW within 20 miles of my home. None.

Sorry to interrupt the "you aren't saving the planet, *******!" replies with some actual EV facts, but I have actually owned one for 2 years now and I'm a far-right conservative that sells "assault weapons" for a living and has daily driven a Raptor since 2011 so I think I have a unique perspective :D
Obviously you know only two things come from Texas

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re gravely underestimating the thread the fruit and nut state poses. There are already several other states who adopt CA emissions by their law, so when CA gets fruitier and nuttier, so do those states. PA is one who follows CA emissions dictates.

It only takes a political shift for these nuts to change another state and another and another. So don’t think they’re not spreading the looney tunes, because they are and FAR outside their borders.
California PREVIOUSLY allowed EV’s and the like to use the HOV lane free and with only one occupant. Many Calif nuts and fruits got sucker punched after the free stuff ended, now they pay just like a normal person and cannot ride alone.

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
California PREVIOUSLY allowed EV’s and the like to use the HOV lane free and with only one occupant. Many Calif nuts and fruits got sucker punched after the free stuff ended, now they pay just like a normal person and cannot ride alone.
And now CA is hitting EV owners with a yearly $100 "Road Improvement Fee" per EV since they are losing the gas tax revenue.

Idaho Savage

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The triggering in this thread is unprecedented.

Dudes who drive $80k trucks that get 13mpg calling out "rich people.". If you weren't rich by most people's standards, you wouldn't be driving a Gen 3 Raptor. I'm "rich" and I, for one, am not ashamed.

Gold, Jerry! Carry on.

jamesstone1933

Reaction score
If your really asking that question and not just trying to start a conversation then you need to get the lightning. No way that’s a real question. Get it and join a lightening forum so you can then talk chrap about why you traded in your Raptor

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
You’re gravely underestimating the thread the fruit and nut state poses. There are already several other states who adopt CA emissions by their law, so when CA gets fruitier and nuttier, so do those states. PA is one who follows CA emissions dictates.

It only takes a political shift for these nuts to change another state and another and another. So don’t think they’re not spreading the looney tunes, because they are and FAR outside their borders.
Just wait until our governor is your president. Yay California.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc