Any1's retractable bed cover leak like this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
rms8

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that cover and had the same set-up on my 14 as well.

The gasket I installed goes against the bed and seals against the tailgate. The water may be coming on from the gate. Lay inside your bed and close the tailgate. You will see how open that area is by seeing light that comes in. It will blow water and dust/dirt in because of the design feature. The tailgates bleed off the air as to help reduce drag while driving (with out a cover.) This feature allows dust, dirt and water to enter now because of the cover.

Ford sells a seal kit and has an install guide too.

My cover leaks a little from time-to-time but no where near as much as my 14 did. Ensure the right amount of shims are installed to ensure that there is less than a 1/16" of play on the sides (against the covers rails). Also, I have almost zero slack against the tailgate, but that is how I want it. I will most likely never open the cover w/ out opening the tailgate first. I treat it more like a trunk that a hatchback...

Denny

I have a Retrax Powertrax MX. I installed gasket along the bottom of the tailgate. I don't have a water issue in this truck. I did on my SVT with a Retrax Pro but that's because it wasn't installed properly.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how a gasket/weather seal can fill the gaps on the sides???

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
rms8

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will not fill it all...it helps less dust, dirt and water come in the bed.

Ok, THX.

So do you still get "some" water into you bed due to the unavoidable gaps that a gasket can't fill?

@Bullishone:
When you said you placed a gasket at the bottom, was that it? Just a strip at the bottom and not the sides? And you're using the RetRax MX Pro, correct? (the powered version). And you have driven through heavy rain and not got water in the bed?

Thanks all!!!

OP
OP
rms8

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To those with a ReTRax :
@Bronco11, @brons130, @BuddhaOffRoad, @consolidated, @crash457, @Cusenation7, @CWBROWN, @dkriplean, @Dr. Hunter, @Jiman, @kandewinn, @Kansan, @krodUT, @marsh1, @Means2212, @Neil1251, @Overboost, @photoneffect, @Pikser, @Raptoroperator, @RICHx4, @Rickoo, @Sid77, @Speedy3, @Squid 3, @Sungod661, @SWB001, @TKS, @Valmoth, @wesleywest, @hewster, @solsurfr, @Dirkdiggler79, @99322

TruckCovers is telling me the following:
The water coming in (as seen in the pics in the OP) is mainly from the gaps in the tailgate. Since some of those gaps are rather large and cannot be filled with a tailgate seal, that would seem to imply that one would ALWAYS have a bit of leaking, regardless of the bed cover (hard/soft/retractable...).

For those with retractable covers, do you find this to be a true statement?

My 2006 w/Retrax never leaked, but that tailgate was flat against the truck, unlike the current models.

If what TruckCovers is saying is true, then the leaking is NOT due to their cover, but in the way Ford designed the tailgate on these late models.

Any insight/experience you guys can shed would be GREATLY appreciated! I am seriously considering removing this TruckCovers and going with the MX Pro from Retrax, but not if it too leaks.

Thanks guys!

The pics below give a good reference of the size of the Retrax box (left) compared to the TruckCovers box (right):

Attachments

• 83795d1484428141-tonneau-cover-cleat.jpg
    83795d1484428141-tonneau-cover-cleat.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 69

Sungod661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the retraxx box a little frurther from the back of the bed to create a better top seal. However there is those gaps you pictured near the bottom of the bed. You can buy a weather strip to cover those. I find there is little if any water that comes in from
Them. As for dust i have not tested it out yet. No mud comes in when i did a little off roading. The test for me will be the snow , worst case i will buy a wether strip for the back not a biggie!!

hewster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time I have seen water in my bed was after I power washed near the tailgate

8k miles

Kansan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never installed my retrax returned it and bought a bakflip vp... i returned it solely on reading reviews stating that it leaked and with my desire for a bedbug it wasn't something i was going to chance. i can say my bak vp has not leaked at all...

OP
OP
rms8

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never installed my retrax returned it and bought a bakflip vp... i returned it solely on reading reviews stating that it leaked and with my desire for a bedbug it wasn't something i was going to chance. i can say my bak vp has not leaked at all...

Do you have any sort of gasket/seal for the tailgate?

THX!

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the American Roll Cover from Truck Covers USA. I do have some pretty minor leaking during heavy rains or car washing which hasn't been too concerning for me at this point. Good luck!