Antennae

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the yeti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a problem mounting to the middle of this cover? It's aluminum and the slats in the back are aluminum with vinyl coverage on the roll n lock.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373228477.468196.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is there a problem mounting to the middle of this cover? It's aluminum and the slats in the back are aluminum with vinyl coverage on the roll n lock.

View attachment 24386

You will likely need to use a copper grounding wire to some part of you bed. The aluminum will not work as a ground. I am looking at mounting one in the same area on my bed cover but I am worried about the ability to transmit.

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What's a practical one

Depends on a few things. If you went with something like this you have the option of the fold over. Basically uou pull up on the antenna and flop it over to fit in a garage.
COMET SBB25 R&L Electronics

Cheaper stainless whip DIAMOND M285S R&L Electronics

You will likely need to use a copper grounding wire to some part of you bed. The aluminum will not work as a ground. I am looking at mounting one in the same area on my bed cover but I am worried about the ability to transmit.

Not true.
Grounds! The most misunderstood subject in amateur radio!

Amateurs deal with a variety of grounds, including earth ground, DC ground, RF ground, ground plane, chassis ground, isolated ground, and a few others. No wonder so many are confused about which ground is which. Of all of the various grounds we deal with in mobile operation, the most important one is the ground plane—essentially the missing half of a vertical antenna. But before we go much further, a myth needs to be dispelled.

An RF ground in the form of a ground strap is not the same thing as a ground plane, nor will it replace one. In other words, a ground strap attached between the antenna's mounting hardware, and the nearest vehicle hard point will not replace, or substitute for, an adequate ground plane under the antenna. Remember this important point: It is the mass directly under the antenna, not along side, that counts.

If the aluminum is mounted to the metal of the bed with screws or bolts you will be fine. If not, a flat braided strap between the aluminum and the bed will be needed.

One of these is to use braided wire. Not just any braided wire mind you, but one which is flat and wide. RF flows at the surface rather than through the wire, and flat braid has more surface area for any given current carrying capacity. Thus it provides less resistance to RF than an equivalent round wire. It also has more capacitive reactance which increases the self resonant point. Flat braid is also much more flexible and less likely to fail due to repeated flexing.

The shield from RG8 works well if the length of the strap is short (under 10 inches or so). Just take care when you strip off the outer jacket that you don't cut through the shield itself. Discard any that is corroded or discolored. Flatten it out by pulling it over a rounded surface. A large, round screwdriver shaft works well for this purpose.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get a good dual band antenna I went to Br180 it is does not require a ground plane to operate at its maximum output. Antennas only effect transmitting and receiving so no worries...lol... You can also tune antennas for a specific range if that's the only range you work in. I kept mine full length and use it to monitor police fire, ems, Air traffic, and anyone else that uses a radio, like FRS... Stick to quality stuff and it wont let you down when you need it the most...