Alignment Problems, Bent Spindles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck, on mid perch, has alignment issues. Too much negative camber and too much positive caster. This is the case even though the LCAs are pulled all the way in, front and rear, on both sides.

Current #s are -1.0 camber both sides and over 5.0 caster both sides. If the tech tries to get the caster within spec, the camber goes out of spec, so we just focused on getting the negative camber down. Truck drives ok.

The alignment I had done in early 2011 after I initially went to mid-perch had the camber at -.7 and -.5 and the caster at 3.8 and 4.2. Unfortunately, I never looked, but I don't think the lower arms were pulled all the way in at that time.

So obviously something is now out of whack. Based on some PMs with members on the forum, discussions with the mechanic that installed my RPG stage 3, discussions with ICON, etc., it would seem the two weak points that may be damaged are the spindles and the UCAs. It is my understanding that members and vendors on this forum have seen a fair number of bent spindles.

I have had the front suspension inspected by Ford Service and they said that they did not see anything wrong. But it is my understanding that the spindles and UCAs will not necessarily "look" bent so this was probably a worthless exercise.

My mechanic quoted me $550 to buy new spindles and replace them. Seems fair, but that is a lot of money to spend to only end up with a pair of used spindles and the same alignment issues.

Here is a photo of my passenger side spindle. Distance between top of spindle and tire is 1", maybe a little less. Difficult to measure up there. Driver side is about the same. Truck is mid perch, stock wheels, stock BFGs inflated at 40lbs or so. I have always understood the stock set up to be tight, but is it this tight? Or could my spindles be bent at the top towards the wheel? If anyone has the same set up and could weigh in it would be greatly appreciated.

knuckle-1.jpg

It is also my understanding that a really good off-road suspension shop can actually diagnose spindle issues just by getting the truck on an alignment machine. Not sure how this works. But can anyone in Houston make a recommendation for a shop with this skill set.

Any other way to diagnose the problem?

I am looking to spend $ on some other mods for the truck, but want to get this issue figured out first.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't use the tire as a reference measurement point since tires are not all the same. I would use the rim to the knuckle or remove the wheel and use a meter to measure the angle and compare it to the other side...

OP
OP
B

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't use the tire as a reference measurement point since tires are not all the same. I would use the rim to the knuckle or remove the wheel and use a meter to measure the angle and compare it to the other side...

Hockster, thanks for reply.

Tire is definitely a problematic reference point. I was hoping that a couple or more members with stock wheels, mid perch, stock BFGs at 40+lbs might come back and say that their spacing is 1.5". Variation in the measurements to be expected but if the average was say a 1/2" more than mine, then that is some evidence that I might have a spindle problem. I know, a stretch, but again just trying not to waste $500.

As far as the "other side", if there is something wrong with the passenger spindle, based on the current alignment #s, I am assuming the driver side spindle has similar issues. So not sure that the comparison will tell me anything meaningful. I have contemplated buying a new spindle and taking measurements off of it and comparing it to the current spindles. That is only a $150 investment. This may be the best approach at this point. Thoughts?

OP
OP
B

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought a knuckle. $148. Get it next week. Take some measurements and see what I can learn.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having snapped one spindle and bent another on my truck I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's the issue. For what its worth, the spindles are what gave first when I went too hard in the desert.

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

One for measurements. Two if bent.

Gusset or total replacement if one of our vendors would make them. Hint.

Outlaw currently sells gussets

OP
OP
B

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having snapped one spindle and bent another on my truck I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's the issue. For what its worth, the spindles are what gave first when I went too hard in the desert.

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Outlaw currently sells gussets

Saw outlaw gusset. Nice but I think it might be easier to just go aftermarket full replacement.

Hope it is the spindle.

OP
OP
B

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score

How did you diagnose the bent spindle? Was it obvious from a visual inspection or did you just start replacing parts? Or something else?

I assume a snapped spindle is quite an experience? Did you tear up the front on that side when it gave away?