Air Recirculation Won’t Stay On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baracus

Reaction score
I have an issue where the HVAC system’s recirculation turns off automatically. It happens more frequently in cold weather. It may happen every 10 to 15 minutes when it’s in the 50s but every 2 to 5 minutes if it’s in the 30s. In the summer it happens very infrequently. I took it to the dealer in March, they did a software update, and told me everything was fixed. It wasn’t. The problem persists and may even be worse. I took it back recently for the same issue and they are telling me it is functioning normally, according to its design.

I routinely drive in Atlanta traffic and this has me inhaling way more diesel fumes than anyone should. I find this issue so frustrating that I am considering selling a truck that I otherwise love. Is everyone experiencing this and just putting up with it?

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
I have an issue where the HVAC system’s recirculation turns off automatically. It happens more frequently in cold weather. It may happen every 10 to 15 minutes when it’s in the 50s but every 2 to 5 minutes if it’s in the 30s. In the summer it happens very infrequently. I took it to the dealer in March, they did a software update, and told me everything was fixed. It wasn’t. The problem persists and may even be worse. I took it back recently for the same issue and they are telling me it is functioning normally, according to its design.

I routinely drive in Atlanta traffic and this has me inhaling way more diesel fumes than anyone should. I find this issue so frustrating that I am considering selling a truck that I otherwise love. Is everyone experiencing this and just putting up with it?
It shuts off to prevent stale air in the cabin. It should remain on when Max A/C is chosen though.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because of all the idiots (see election results) we live in a society where you can't be trusted to crack your own window should you need too. So unfortunately manufacturers and regulating bodies (look up other idiots) have graciously removed the burden of personal responsibility from your HVAC controls (and most everything else). This plagues the wife's 2022 Mercedes Benz GLE 450 as well. Thank you very much you no stick driving mother *******!!

I am equally thankful that I have not allowed this growing (like a wart) phenomenon to get under my skin and cause any anger issues... right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
baracus

baracus

Reaction score
FWIW, I also have a 2022 bronco and it doesn't do this, which makes me think this is a bug or a design flaw that they are making excuses for.

Adrenlin

Reaction score

It's not an issue the dealer can/will fix, as it's working as it was intended. Is it annoyance, yes. However, this is normal behavior and it's even mentioned on page 181 of the manual.