Adjusting 2020 Suspension Softer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 and love the ride! Tire pressure has the biggest impact on ride quality! 31 or 32 is the sweet spot I have found.
Have you noticed a hit on the gas side? I am not overly worried about gas mileage, but thought I would ask. Have you driven enough miles to see how the tires are wearing? Are you running that pressure on all 4 tires?

OP
OP
Begone

Begone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't really checked, I just tuned my truck yesterday so any considerations on MPG is out the window now, ha! All about enjoying the truck with the new found power/speed and comfortable ride.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet spot for me is setting the tire pressure to 31 and they get up to 32/33 currently. Rides so much softer. That’ll work for now.

Yep, wasn't overly impressed with my 2019 as I drove it home from the dealer as I was expecting Lexus/Caddy ride quality from everything I read about the Raptor and its long travel shocks. Got home and the tires were all at 45psi plus. Did some research and lowered them down and it's much better now and I'm happy.

There is always a bit of a trade-off for ride quality and control. Jerk your wheel at 40mph or go around a back-road sweeper at 50mph and you'll really appreciate the extra stability and control the Live Valve shocks provide. Then, go hit a big jump and you'll feel how soft the Raptor lands. It's a pretty sweet set-up.

Only thing I wish the Ford Engineers had dialed in a bit better is softening the shocks a touch at a steady cruise around town as there is a little bit too much transmission of small road ripples just cruising down a city street. But, it's no biggie and I love the truck's ride quality.

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke with Fox today about this matter. You are able to change the valving when cracking them open to rebuild and things will be fine. The Fox rep on the phone even said their race shop which rebuilds the shocks will do it for you if you ask.

Essentially it is choosing to remove or replace a single shim or two at the front of the shim stack before the shock piston. By doing this the shim stack will flex slightly easier on the smaller impacts but it will still bend like before on the larger impacts. The impacts between large and small however will use a touch more travel as oil is hitting the shim stack a little sooner due to the change in the shim stack to accommodate small bump sensitivity.

Rddakota

Reaction score
Have you noticed a hit on the gas side? I am not overly worried about gas mileage, but thought I would ask. Have you driven enough miles to see how the tires are wearing? Are you running that pressure on all 4 tires?
Normally running 32 and no noticeable mileage drop. Before I was running 36 and noticed a little more ware in the center of the tires, about 1 to 2/32 worth. The ride improved going to 32. Just approaching 20,000 on my 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdodgela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold, I run 35 front, 32 rear. I don't do this necessarily for ride comfort, I do it to keep the tires wearing evenly. I didn't look at tires good until first tire rotation I did @ 10k miles with 38psi all around and middle of back tires were very worn and front was even. I lowered all 4 to 32 after the rotation and everything evened out by next rotation and went back to 35 32 and went to 50k miles worn evenly before trading her in. That was on my 2018. My 2020, yes, from dealership they were at 48psi, lowered before leaving the lot. First rotation done @ 15k miles and wear couldn't be more even. 35 Front, 32 Rear. Ride feels good too. When towing my 6000# travel trailer, the backs heat up to about the same as the front, around 38, FYI.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I had pretty uneven wear as well on the KO2’s, center worn much more than edges. I was pretty close to stock at around 37/35 for a while, I went down to 36/34 and I was thinking 35/33 next but... I haven’t been at 36/34 long enough to appreciate a solid impact. I don’t have the live valves, so don’t have near the ride quality issues those owners report.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had pretty uneven wear as well on the KO2’s, center worn much more than edges. I was pretty close to stock at around 37/35 for a while, I went down to 36/34 and I was thinking 35/33 next but... I haven’t been at 36/34 long enough to appreciate a solid impact. I don’t have the live valves, so don’t have near the ride quality issues those owners report.

36/34 with live valve is a good overall ride. Wear has been good, rotation as we know is important. Cooler weather had me down to 35/33 for some days and even 34/32. Truck handles and drives good in all these ranges I thought.

Any truck with no weight in the bed or one that you don’t tow often with will wear the middle of the tread right down. Good to keep the rears softer. Not to mention enhancing ride performance back there. For those who did not know.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree 100% with this. My old 18 rode a lot better than my current 19. I'm running 33 cold all around but when they heat up to 37ish, the ride is significantly rougher. I think at 50K when when the shocks need the rebuilds, I'll opt for the older passive versions and get the bypass kit for the active bits.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree 100% with this. My old 18 rode a lot better than my current 19. I'm running 33 cold all around but when they heat up to 37ish, the ride is significantly rougher. I think at 50K when when the shocks need the rebuilds, I'll opt for the older passive versions and get the bypass kit for the active bits.
I’m in a new 20 just clicked 1000 miles coming from an ‘18 that I put 34k miles on- gotta say I think the new one handles better & yes rides a bit firmer @ slower speeds & feel more of the lil bumps, but not in an annoying or harsh way IMO

on other hand I prefer the way the 20 takes the bigger holes/ruts @
Higher speed, seems to do better than the ‘18 in that regard

also appreciate the taller overall ride height/ground clearance - I think I’m 3/4” higher rear & lil over 1” In front compared to the 2018

no interest in eibach springs anymore

I run 40 psi front & 38 rear cold, May drop down a couple see how it does