800hp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you guys arent putting a very large piece of the puzzle in place on the transmission. these trucks deal a lot more tq and a lot more energy besides burnouts and pulls on just the cars weight.

but i can see the rear popping too, i thought thats why they stopped the lock the rear end in 2wd option for the 2nd gen guys.

OP
OP
R

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not many 10spd failures out in the world right now. They get hot when pushed hard with bigger turbos but so far holding up.
Theres a few companies building shortblocks right now in the 900hp range as well. Not sure what transmission they have behind it.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The 10spd in the Mustang is holding a lot of power, as is the Camaro- seeing as though its pretty much the same trans, I have no reason to doubt it will support 700+.

I think you're right on the primary transmission. I would also think that the transfer case and 4auto clutch would be the first place to need beefing up.

Would turning the bigger and heavier 35" tires cause the extra stress on the trans? 700hp turning 28" tires vs 35" tires that weigh twice as much in a truck that weighs a fair amount more than the cars the tranny is shared with has to have something to do with Raptors having issues.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive read that the 10spd has several different grades that handle different levels of torque, with the raptor being the 590lbft version.
Apparently the camaro is higher. Obviously this maybe wrong

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How many have they ACTUALLY broken? Or is this speculation? Did their mothers, cousins, step dad hear of a broken axle in a bar conversation?

Same question on the transmission. Show me a picture of a broken one or it didn't happen. I am sure if someone broke a rear end or transmission someone on here would have posted it by now, probably in 6 different threads.....

Sasquatch is alive and well on these forums.

Yeah, you're probably right. I doubt the guy who built up and raced the Raptor in the Baja 1000 for Ford knows much about this truck and its weakness.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would turning the bigger and heavier 35" tires cause the extra stress on the trans? 700hp turning 28" tires vs 35" tires that weigh twice as much in a truck that weighs a fair amount more than the cars the tranny is shared with has to have something to do with Raptors having issues.

Logic says yes, the Raptor is heavier with heavier rotating weights. However the 10spd trans is pretty stout and the fact that it spreads the torque load through several clutch packs for each “gear” will allow it to handle really big loads.

Without knowing the details of the electronic locker hardware I can’t be sure, but the weakness is likely the locking mechanism itself that is the limiting factor. The oems require a specific percentage of performance “margin” in a marketed product and the locker margin is likely exceeded in 2wd in one or more of their anticipated scenarios.

Sometimes the reasons are simple, but many are complex and decided by managers vs engineers.

Kamil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a good dyno of close to 600-700HP or do I have to get my truck there?

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The block is one thing to be concerned with, but I'd be more curious how much power the transmissions can handle without breaking. I think that would be the weakest link in a heavily modded EB and the first thing to go.

The Raptor uses 10R80 transmission which is rated at max 800nm torque (590 ft lbs).

The new super duty is also getting the 10sp but it's the 10R140 version (~1000 ft lbs). I wonder if one could use the new super duty trans in a Raptor...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc