GEN 1 6.2L Engine replacement cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVToney

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm currently looking to purchase my first raptor (Gen 1 because I can't afford a Raptor R lol). My question is: Does anyone have a recent cost of replacing the 6.2L engine?
I'm looking at a few different trucks in my area and only one is the color I want (Terrain); but it has almost 180K miles on the odometer. I'm nervous if I pick it up that the motor may go out soon. This truck will be my daily driver and I usually drive around 1K miles a month. I know this price can vary depending on location but if anyone has a recent comparison and doesn't mind sharing the cost to replace the motor, I would greatly appreciate it.

Before anyone makes the comment. Yes, I am aware that the motor MIGHT make to 250K miles or better. But I'm still nervous about it going out in my first year of ownership.

Thanks in advance!

itsrichierich

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what the cost is. And I don't want to come off as rude/negative. But if you can afford commuting 1k mile a month in this truck, then you can afford a replacement engine.

On a side note, eBay shows prices from $4-5k depending on mileage. And if want to get fancy, Livernois has one for $20k :)

Last edited:

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm currently looking to purchase my first raptor (Gen 1 because I can't afford a Raptor R lol). My question is: Does anyone have a recent cost of replacing the 6.2L engine?
I'm looking at a few different trucks in my area and only one is the color I want (Terrain); but it has almost 180K miles on the odometer. I'm nervous if I pick it up that the motor may go out soon. This truck will be my daily driver and I usually drive around 1K miles a month. I know this price can vary depending on location but if anyone has a recent comparison and doesn't mind sharing the cost to replace the motor, I would greatly appreciate it.

Before anyone makes the comment. Yes, I am aware that the motor MIGHT make to 250K miles or better. But I'm still nervous about it going out in my first year of ownership.

Thanks in advance!
if the truck has good service history and has been maintained, you should not have much to worry about for a while.
I've got 210k on my 2011 and its been to Baja 3 times!!
New OEM parts are getting harder to come by for the 6.2 but its do-able to rebuild yourself for $3000 or less depending on how deep ya go.
Good luck getting a short or long block from Ford.. been back ordered forever.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You won't find new OEM parts for something that is 10+ years old in general.

I did find dozens of brand new 6.2L Super Duty engines for sale for approx $6K a few weeks back when someone else was looking though.

The engine will likely outlast the body, so I wouldn't sweat 180K miles. If you drive it in the rain- it's going to rust out the body eventually.

We drove a 1980s era Dodge 318 to 300K+ and a 90s era Ford 302 to 300K+. Both run fine when we got rid of them and had huge rust holes in the bodies. Change the oil and don't drive it like a fool and it'll run forever.

OP
OP
S

SVToney

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the info. Unfortunately, the truck I was looking at sold. I guess the hunt continues and next time I better be a little quicker on the trigger lol.

But if anyone has paid a mechanic shop to do the replacement for them, I'd still love to have that price. I know I can find a used motor online (price varying depending on mileage) so cost of the motor is not the question; it's how much will the labor cost.

Yes I know ever shop is different and the area the shop is located can make a difference too; but any real-world experience would be nice to know.

itsrichierich

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the info. Unfortunately, the truck I was looking at sold. I guess the hunt continues and next time I better be a little quicker on the trigger lol.

But if anyone has paid a mechanic shop to do the replacement for them, I'd still love to have that price. I know I can find a used motor online (price varying depending on mileage) so cost of the motor is not the question; it's how much will the labor cost.

Yes I know ever shop is different and the area the shop is located can make a difference too; but any real-world experience would be nice to know.
I think your best bet is to call the shops around your area and get quotes. That will give a more realistic summary versus some of our experiences.