GEN 1 6.2L Engine replacement cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rhinoman

Reaction score
Keep looking, I picked up a gen 1 with only 40023mi on it a year ago. I had been looking at tons of gen1 raptors and the best i could find was 85K+miles and all had something wrong, faded paint, worn interior, obvious signs of hard offroading, etc, something was off and needing work...as I was depressed after looking at a truck with a flaking clear coat I noticed one sitting at a lot on the drive back home that I had not seen online, stopped to check it out and hit a great deal on someone's ranch truck that they had just put 4k miles a year on and was in mint condition. Called to wife to warn her I was coming home with a new truck. Now, I freaking love this truck!!!!! And surprisingly my wife keeps telling me this was the best buy I've made and she now wants one too.......

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't be worried about high mileage if its properly maintained if ya come across another. 6.2 is Very reliable many of us have high mileage and 0 problems. Maintenance is Key. Definitely replace or rebuild Alternator after 160,000 miles. I had mine rebuilt at 180,000 miles and the people that did said i did it just in time as the brushes were almost down to nothing

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you @Nesc204, @Raw Horsepower, @Old-Raptor-guy. It's awesome to hear some real-world numbers.
@Raw Horsepower I feel like that was an amazing find! lol
@Nesc204 thanks for the heads up. I didn't know the alternators had an issue. I'll keep that in mind.
All alternators have a life span on any manufacturer. Cars average around 130,000 miles and trucks around 180,000. Depends on how much you rev in it. The faster the engine turning the faster the alternator is spinning. The carbon brushes are what wear out. Voltage regulators and the rest are usually pretty stout but sometimes fail prematurely

Johnny Raptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was around $15k in 2021. That included a new Ford reman 6.2 Raptor motor, melting oil pump with billet gears, other misc motor parts like a new intake, complete AC system rebuild, and a complete transmission rebuild.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was around $15k in 2021. That included a new Ford reman 6.2 Raptor motor, melting oil pump with billet gears, other misc motor parts like a new intake, complete AC system rebuild, and a complete transmission rebuild.
Did something go wrong or did ya do it just to make it new again

Johnny Raptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did something go wrong or did ya do it just to make it new again
Broken valve spring caused it to drop a valve at 189k. Was really surprised because there was no warning whatsoever. I mean nothing. Drove the truck every day since it was brand new in 2013 until the motor grenaded in 2021.

I wouldn’t be scared of a high mileage Raptor at all, but if I bought one, I’d have the valve train checked. Seems like there were a few 2013’s that had the same failure around the same mileage.

Since the motor was coming out, I decided to have everything else done at the same time. Still drive the truck every week, but split time between it and a Bronco now.