6.2 SW long tubes w/ cats causing trans to run hot??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

linexsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At TRR i had a tranny solenoid go out and had to get trailered home. I just got my truck back. While talking to the dealership, they recommended a heatsheild between the cats and the tranny pan. The solenoid going out is a known problem with some of these trucks, but not a really common one from what ive read. They said that putting a heat sheild of some sort would help in the future especially when it comes to using the truck the way its intended. My question is, has anyone else come across this, and what did you use?

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
During my install I did think of pitting a heat sheild there but never did it. Now this has me thinking

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

linexsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
me too. the dealership didnt blame the solenoid on the exhaust, but they did hint that it could be part of the problem. ive been looking at stuff online, but alot of the starter wrap and heat shield stuff is only good to 1000 deg or 1100 tops. i would think the cats COULD get hotter??? thats where im missing the boat here. im sure someone has ran into this before??

DynoDynge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't wrap the cats, as that will just cause more problems. Just install a heat shield between the two & 1K degrees will be more than sufficient

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually emailed Stainless Works on this very topic and no response. I am definitely getting some heat soak from the exhaust into the transmission as it runs hotter now with the catted x-pipe setup. Was thinking about wrap or something on the exhaust and converter, but see someone comment on not wrapping the converter. Open to any and all suggestions. Was also planning on running the finned PA trans pan.

Trophytruck

Reaction score
At TRR i had a tranny solenoid go out and had to get trailered home. I just got my truck back. While talking to the dealership, they recommended a heatsheild between the cats and the tranny pan. The solenoid going out is a known problem with some of these trucks, but not a really common one from what ive read. They said that putting a heat sheild of some sort would help in the future especially when it comes to using the truck the way its intended. My question is, has anyone else come across this, and what did you use?

Are your headers ceramic coated? I wonder what the actual temperature is right there next to the transmission next to the cats? So far knock on wood I haven't had any issues with the transmission solenoid yet.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the cats get very hot. my guess is the real issue lies in the heat from the cat right in front of the trans pan. i was thinking of making a metal shield that is L-shaped then drill holes in it that will allow me to bolt it in place using the front trans pan bolts. then maybe add some type of heat insulation on the front side of that toward the cat. eventually i want to run a bigger trans pan as long as it wont interfere with the SW exhaust

G & P Racing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I picked up some of that fancy Gold Foil heat shield material with the thoughts of making some sort of heat shield. Also have considered a deeper pan and had one in hand to install but the clearance was going to be really tight with SW setup. Not that it could'nt be done.

To the OP, what kind of tranny temps were you seeing at TRR? Running anykind of aftermarket cooler?

I agree the exhaust can get really really hot. One thing that can really help with that would be ceramic coating that SW offers. I did not get it when I got my setup and I regret that.

We have run so hard the headers melted out the starter, like cherry hot, going across a dry lake bed flat out. Engine was over heating too. But Trans temps were around 160, we have a big ass cooler. Have not had any trans problems to date, knock on wood.

Keeping the oil cool would be at the top of my list. You have lots of options there, we run a big Setrab cooler/fan pack. We plan to upgrade to the Ceramic coated system at some point. Also would look at more heat shielding. We run a wrap on the starter now and carry a spare. So far the starter has held fine after the wrap.

There is no such thing as overkill to avoid issues if you are out playing hard. Missed TRR this year but last year was a blast...and you do end up running your truck real hard there, for sure. Good luck with the mods.