2023 Torsen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

enjoitheride

Reaction score
I will never complain about waiting 11 months for my 22 again. You 23 guys really got screwed especially if Ford flew this under the radar.
Yeah, this is unfortunate news. I’ve always been a Ford fan, and bought this truck because of its capabilities. However, the TRX is now looking to be a better truck. More power, much nicer interior, and the same dang price. Yes, it has an open front diff, also, but the Raptor wasn’t always like that. You have to ask, why should people choose this truck anymore? You keep removing features, and it makes it less attractive. The competition is going to beat Ford here shortly. ‘23 has been a kick to the face for Raptor buyers.

Turning Blue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed that Ford pulled a fast one...again. I had an order in for a 23 in Rapid Red at msrp., but cancelled when I found my 22 in Atlas Blue. I didn't realize they dropped the Torsen and would've been angry had I found out later.

Having said that, for most Raptor buyers it probably won't matter. If you're one of those who rarely, if ever, does any extreme off roading, you may never miss it. For those who are into extreme off roading where a front locker matters, you're probably using the wrong vehicle anyway.

Let the flames begin...lol.

Last edited:

rlj676

Reaction score
If you can find a late built 22, might be the perfect option. NO exhaust rattle / shock rattle but still has heated steering, torsen.
That was the calculation I came up with. Doesn’t seem at resale MY matter much either.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dropping the Torsen quietly would be a mistake of monumental proportions. Ford's corporate díck is collecting quite a lot of footprints, mostly made by the marketing department.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Torsen is invaluable to me ON ROAD. I live where every “hill” is steep, and every hill is a curve in an area where more times than not the road is wet in the mornings. My last daily had front and rear ARB lockers which are great in the rocks but impractical on road. At the same time a Torsen is next to worthless with a wheel in the air. You can left foot it but you can do that with an open diff.

So in my opinion, most would be best served with the Torsen whether they leave the pavement or not. Lockers are best for rock crawlers which the Raptors size alone makes it impractical for such in my area.

I have not wheeled a Ford vehicle relying solely on it using the brakes to limit slip so have no opinion on that.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Not to throw a wet blanket on all the complaining but ... The Rap has had an open diff rear from day one, and electronic wizardry keeps power available to both sides. Anyone else done some full power take offs in 2hi?

No? maybe get out of the starbucks parking lot and 4lo? I get nice, twin rooster tails in soft terrain and dual black marks on pavement (after putting the torque arm on, Jen Too here ).

Has anyone actually beached and shown conclusively we’re only seeing power to one side up front? Or are we just mad for the sake of being mad?

Maybe Ford pulled a fast one, maybe they got comparable performance electronically? Maybe they just don’t care?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe Ford pulled a fast one, maybe they got comparable performance electronically? Maybe they just don’t care?
If they could get better performance electronically, why not say so? Doing it on the sly just makes them look like weasels who think it hurts performance. Go public and let people have the argument. Produce the video that proves it's as good or better. This way, they get the worst of both worlds.

BigTaco

Reaction score
Team,
Torsen diffs do not “lock”. They act like an open diff when completely off the ground. I understand being disappointed about not having one, but they have never been a locker. The whole point of a Torsen is to be able to split torque between two wheels at different speeds and kind of locking when wheel speed between two wheels occurs.