2021 Factory mounted generator from Ford?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
richnot

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looked at the Ford site. There appear to be 4 power options for bedside power,

400W - non-powerboost only (included)
2.0KW - non-powerboost only ($995 option)
2.4KW - powerboost (included)
7.2KW - Powerboost ($995 option)

Pretty sure 400W is only available with engine running. It's the same 400W inverter we have on current options. Not sure on the 2.0KW option. That would imply that there an additional battery for this that's charged by the engine like a hybrid. The two powerboost options are surely available without engine running, as long as battery has juice.

As a side note regarding the camping them, how long before we see a solar panel charging aftermarket option for the powerboost?

I have used solar in the past to keep the batteries charged on my boats for the pumps, and I just picked up this one at a garage sale down the street, no need for it but the price was right

IMG_8544.JPG

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm doubtful you'll be able to use something like that to charge the powerboost battery though. Not an expert, but I doubt that battery with have posts you can clamp onto like a normal car battery. I'm thinking it will take some sort of proprietary wiring harness.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm guessing, not sure how else they would do it, I think the future is fascinating and looking forward to this technology.

I don't think it's a plug in at all. The battery is recharged by the gas engine/regen braking. It's not a very large battery to begin with. 1.5KW. The article about the generator mentions that the system is designed to use the battery till it's drained, then kick on the engine to meet power demands. It looks like the non powerboost models will still have the generator, but require the engine to be running at all times.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So it is basically a Large Prius like 911 Crazy has. I understand the workings of an hybrid but I have not heard of a generator on a truck other than a carbon powered one.

So if you would be able to use it as a power supply why would they call it a generator? Not just call it a power source? Regenerative systems put power back into the batteries and this is why i am confused , (along with many other reasons) My solar panels are considered a power generator but I do not have a battery storage system, what I don not use gets banked based off of the meter readings and I draw off of that in the winter months. Does that mean the truck will have a gas engine and a battery cell and a regenerator and a Pro Power onboard generator with either 2.3 kw and 7.2 kw ? I believe it is Jeep that is using their torque converter as a part of their hybrid system and a battery cell and when applying the brakes or slowing down it puts energy back into the battery along with the engine providing power to the battery. From what I have read I think it is good for just a little over 40 miles of straight electric power
I`m confused...... Till this

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2020/06/5-fun-facts-about-the-2021-f-150s-onboard-generator.html
So yeah, its an inverter (called a generator) for the non-hybrid vehicles and a real generator using stored battery power and the engine power to recharge on the hybrid models, sounds like the only way it would work. So I guess your initial post would be you could pay $1000 bucks for an invertor from Ford for your F150 and have to pay for it as an option on your hybrid purchase, from what I got out of that link. Sounds about right anyway.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it's a plug in at all. The battery is recharged by the gas engine/regen braking. It's not a very large battery to begin with. 1.5KW. The article about the generator mentions that the system is designed to use the battery till it's drained, then kick on the engine to meet power demands. It looks like the non powerboost models will still have the generator, but require the engine to be running at all times.
Yeah, I read the article after replying to your post, lol. I wouldn't even call that a generator in the non-hybrid model, its just a glorified invertor. :)

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I read the article after replying to your post, lol. I wouldn't even call that a generator in the non-hybrid model, its just a glorified invertor. :)

Sounds a bit better than glorified though. With the current 400W inverter, you have to start the truck to provide power, and it will only run idle for 30 minutes before it shuts down. With this new system, the engine will remain running as long as it detects a load. Sounds as if you won't even have to start the truck yourself either. If you plug something in the back, the engine will fire up with enough rpms to meet the load? That part sounds a little concerning, as anyone could just plug in the back and start draining your fuel without having any keyfob access to the truck.

On a similar side note...does this and a new measurement stat to the truck? If a truck is used as a generator on a regular basis, wouldn't that have an significant image on the value of the truck. A 2 year old truck with 20K miles is not the same as 2 year old truck with 20k miles and 2000 hours running idle as a generator.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Also, isn't a generator when you factor in the engine? Yes, an inverter is involved, but you have a gas powered engine that is providing electrical power. How is that different than a generator you'd buy for a home?