GEN 2 2019 Raptor Wrap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gloss/matte finish should already be with the vinyl film by itself. The extra protection makes sense.

Yes the vinyl I wanted was matte but I wanted it in gloss. So if you find a color you like but it’s only one or the other, you can change the finish at the same time.

TripleE44

Reaction score
The ceramic coating can give it gloss or matte look and crystallized like a paint over the wrap for more protection is what I was told.

It will add some gloss but there are none that would take a gloss finish to matte, unless there is some new product someone is hiding. There are ceramic coatings intended for matte finish paint, but they won't make it matte.

It does crystallize similar to paint, but it's a very thin layer. It's more of a sacrificial layer. It's not going to resist scratches, but instead it will get scratched before the paint. It is a minimal amount harder, but its still going to scratch like paint and won't stop something from puncturing the wrap.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It will add some gloss but there are none that would take a gloss finish to matte, unless there is some new product someone is hiding. There are ceramic coatings intended for matte finish paint, but they won't make it matte.

It does crystallize similar to paint, but it's a very thin layer. It's more of a sacrificial layer. It's not going to resist scratches, but instead it will get scratched before the paint. It is a minimal amount harder, but its still going to scratch like paint and won't stop something from puncturing the wrap.

Yeah I'm no expert just repeating what I was told. I already have rock chips and scratches, cracks and shit and its doesn't bother me. Old girl has been through a lot. I kind of figured what you said was the case. You know how sales people are always stretching the truth just a tad.

wkasak_17Raptor

Reaction score
Looks great and the installer looks to be doing it correctly. I have done or redone some of my wrap. It's time consuming and tedious. When done right it will look like paint. The mirrors, door handles, and tailgate handle are tricky. He looks like to have done them well. Keep the pics coming. You got a smokin' deal for $2600.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks great and the installer looks to be doing it correctly. I have done or redone some of my wrap. It's time consuming and tedious. When done right it will look like paint. The mirrors, door handles, and tailgate handle are tricky. He looks like to have done them well. Keep the pics coming. You got a smokin' deal for $2600.

So you did the wrap yourself? I find wrapping rather interesting since the material itself is rather cheap, but labor is so expensive. At first glance, it seems like wrapping wouldn't be that difficult to do. Looking a little closer, it has to be done the right way in order for it to look good and last. Even if you learn the techniques to do it properly yourself, seems like something that just takes time and practice to develop the right 'touch' and such.

A part of me thinks it would fun to just do a hood wrap myself. If it looks like crap, just pull it off and try again. Of course, Raptor hoods aren't as easy to wrap as they look.

Last edited:

wkasak_17Raptor

Reaction score
I originally had a shop do the full wrap but they didn't do a great job. I sued them for my money back...whole other story. My car was done by a high quality shop in Michigan so I know what a really good wrap job looks like. The installation is 100% key.

I have replaced areas myself that I was not happy with like the front fender and I also wrapped the mirrors, handles, and tailgate handle that the original installer was supposed to do but just never did because he thought the black accents looked better (Translation: They are tedious and time consuming so he didn't want to do them). I will be replacing other panels as they need it. I'm tackling the bed sides next since there are areas the original installer just didn't do correctly for longevity.

It's a skill that requires practice and a lot of learning what not to do to produce long term quality results. Youtube videos do make it look easy. However don't let that stop you from jumping in and trying it. The material is relatively cheap and if you have the interest/patience then it's fun. You will likely wrap the same area several times to get it right until you get experience under your belt. The hood is tricky just because it's a horizontal flat surface and some brands of vinyl are really sticky which could cause glue lines from having to re-position too much. Again this is avoided with experience.