2019 Raptor "preview"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll get to ride in a 19 or two at Texplex week after next, so I should be able to give detailed comparisons (as well as video) of the shocks and seats.

You can tell they make a difference upon landing, shocks don't compress nearly as much, but it will be interesting to see just how much the offroad handling improves. I have to agree with Roman - I do like my floaty soft ride

Keller Steeler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll get to ride in a 19 or two at Texplex week after next, so I should be able to give detailed comparisons (as well as video) of the shocks and seats.

You can tell they make a difference upon landing, shocks don't compress nearly as much, but it will be interesting to see just how much the offroad handling improves. I have to agree with Roman - I do like my floaty soft ride
My delivery date has been pushed back to 11-28 to 12-4. Not sure I will be there. If I get it on the 30th, I will be there. It will have two coats of TrackTape, lol!

Last edited:

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score

I agree about the soft ride but I need more info. The integration makes it seem the this will not be available aftermarket.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree about the soft ride but I need more info. The integration makes it seem the this will not be available aftermarket.

People keep saying that - Ford only says that to push 19 sales. The mountain bike units are standalone with their own computer and battery. Fox would be retarded not to use this tech in aftermarket shocks - all they gotta do is provided a power solution and everything else is pretty easy. I will be very surprised if we don't see standalone fox live shocks hit within a few years.

OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even if they are available as aftermarket/stand alone shocks, based on how they explained them in that video, you'll get about half the functionality as there won't be anywhere near the level of integration. I do agree with them that there should be some driver selectable suspension modes available. Ford also REALLY needs to step up their game when it comes to base model features. 65k for virtually nothing is ridiculous.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even if they are available as aftermarket/stand alone shocks, based on how they explained them in that video, you'll get about half the functionality as there won't be anywhere near the level of integration. I do agree with them that there should be some driver selectable suspension modes available. Ford also REALLY needs to step up their game when it comes to base model features. 65k for virtually nothing is ridiculous.

TFL was wrong on options, it has only increased about $2k from the 17 numbers (most of that inflation). My fully loaded SCAB (no decals or interior accent) was $63 OTD.

The integration is window dressing. It just allows for pretuning - the bulk of the work can be done by the shock computer, as is done in the bike shocks. I've posted numerous articles explaining the technology, I'm not going to go through it again. I expect a standalone version will be at least 80% as good as the factory option. Fox is just using the two most popular off road vehicles - the RZR and Raptor - as testing beds, so they could benefit from the R&D Ford and Polaris could provide.

wjn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what TFL writes:

The driver may also adjust the shock stiffness by selecting among the seven drive modes. The “Normal” mode turns the shocks into their softest or most relaxed setting. Sport or Baja modes increase the stiffness. No matter which mode you are in, the 2019 Raptor has a more tight and less floaty ride. Some people may miss the softer ride of the previous Raptor suspension, but I like how the new truck rides both on the highway and on dirt and rocks.

Indeed, the highway ride is more stiff, but the truck barely has any lean in higher speed corners. It feels solid and predictable on the highway. Put it into Sport or Baja mode, and it really wakes up. It holds higher rpm, makes the throttle more sensitive, turns the suspension stiffer, and the steering feel heavier. It lets the driver adjust all of these parameters. If you like technology and ability to tweak these aspects of your truck, this new Raptor will satisfy.
https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/11/is...l-the-king-off-road-performance-truck-review/

OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
TFL was wrong on options, it has only increased about $2k from the 17 numbers (most of that inflation). My fully loaded SCAB (no decals or interior accent) was $63 OTD.

The integration is window dressing. It just allows for pretuning - the bulk of the work can be done by the shock computer, as is done in the bike shocks. I've posted numerous articles explaining the technology, I'm not going to go through it again. I expect a standalone version will be at least 80% as good as the factory option. Fox is just using the two most popular off road vehicles - the RZR and Raptor - as testing beds, so they could benefit from the R&D Ford and Polaris could provide.

I've read most of the articles, but we'll have to agree to disagree on importance. You can't really compare a dirt bike with a truck that is daily driven for the majority of owners. Being able to select modes is a huge benefit IMO. You may get 80% or heck lets even say close to 100% of the peak performance, but you aren't getting 80% of the potential benefits for a daily driven vehicle.

ToucanLife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People keep saying that - Ford only says that to push 19 sales. The mountain bike units are standalone with their own computer and battery. Fox would be retarded not to use this tech in aftermarket shocks - all they gotta do is provided a power solution and everything else is pretty easy. I will be very surprised if we don't see standalone fox live shocks hit within a few years.

The mountain bike units are very hard to retrofit and expensive / difficult to get unless you buy it OEM on a bike.