2019 Raptor "preview"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@rtmozingo saw your post, very informative, thanks.

To cite a couple examples, I've found that in 'expert mode' sport on pavement, the truck will fall on its face (pull out power for >1 s) if I unload the suspension some while at WOT, meanwhile same situation except Baja mode and it'll pull out a tiny bit of power for <1s. Or for example, in Sport mode the 'play with me' transmission mapping of holding high RPM @ part throttle seems to come alive much more easily if throttle is applied while exiting a slow sweeper than it is if applied going straight. These are the kind of details I'm looking for. WRT the mentioned 70%, IMO a much better solution is the 'kickdown switch' at the very last bit of throttle pedal travel I've seen on some euro cars. I'm imagining the shocks having this kind of non-intuitive behavior

Yes, I completely concur. I was greatly disappointed the Raptor Assault instructors had nothing to say about all of this, as it was the main reason I went. I suspect the only people that know are the design engineers. I've actually sort of tried to contact them through Ford Performance, but as you might expect, I've had no luck thus far. Should probably try again a bit more seriously.

I think both sport and baja tuning is trying to make sure you don't lose control of your back end, and therefore makes the mistake of cutting power on hills or when the suspension gets unloaded, as you noted. Considering how I've seen a lot of people drive their trucks, I'd say Ford calibrated it well, but it is frustrating having it intervene. I will say I've not had any interference from Baja mode in the 'Veteran' or 'Expert' modes, but I also need more time to break it, hah. Mud/Sand is very hands off, one of the things I love about that mode.

mamula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He doesn't have a raptor, He's been trying to find a 2018 for FX4 pricing and hasn't been able to yet. He knows the 2019 will be out of reach price wise so he's already been practicing the art of "if I can't have it, convince myself I don't want it"
Why do you have to call me out like that bro. Snitching on me will make me just buy the 2019 just to **** you off

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rtmozingo

I need to take more data, but lately my nannies seem to have really relaxed. It could be placebo, but I haven't experienced it cutting power when unloading the suspension for a couple weeks now and at least on dirt, I can now do donuts no problem. (in particular I've checked in 2H baja mode, expert)

Almost makes me wonder if this truck has some kind of 'break in' mode.

mamula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He doesn't have a raptor, He's been trying to find a 2018 for FX4 pricing and hasn't been able to yet. He knows the 2019 will be out of reach price wise so he's already been practicing the art of "if I can't have it, convince myself I don't want it"
Hehehehe. All I can do is laugh at you. You look foolish now! Thanks for making me stronger in purchasing a raptor! Your hate made me strong

Blusmbl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I completely concur. I was greatly disappointed the Raptor Assault instructors had nothing to say about all of this, as it was the main reason I went. I suspect the only people that know are the design engineers. I've actually sort of tried to contact them through Ford Performance, but as you might expect, I've had no luck thus far. Should probably try again a bit more seriously.

I think both sport and baja tuning is trying to make sure you don't lose control of your back end, and therefore makes the mistake of cutting power on hills or when the suspension gets unloaded, as you noted. Considering how I've seen a lot of people drive their trucks, I'd say Ford calibrated it well, but it is frustrating having it intervene. I will say I've not had any interference from Baja mode in the 'Veteran' or 'Expert' modes, but I also need more time to break it, hah. Mud/Sand is very hands off, one of the things I love about that mode.

Stability control is still active in sport mode for sure. I assume baja is similar but I'm not positive. Try putting it in sport mode and then disabling stability control by holding the t/c button down for something like 8 seconds. I noticed it intervening when I was trying to do donuts on sand hill faces in sport mode, you could feel it intervening. Once I shut stability control off it let me drive exactly how I wanted and wasn't attempting to control anything.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@rtmozingo

I need to take more data, but lately my nannies seem to have really relaxed. It could be placebo, but I haven't experienced it cutting power when unloading the suspension for a couple weeks now and at least on dirt, I can now do donuts no problem. (in particular I've checked in 2H baja mode, expert)

Almost makes me wonder if this truck has some kind of 'break in' mode.
I think it does. It makes sense that they could program the computer to "take it easy" for the first 1,000 miles or so, it probably would cut their warranty costs. You just think you are in charge, the computer really is. :)

OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Raptor felt way lighter on its feet after the first 1000 miles or so. I could barely hear the Turbos wind up initially, after about 100 miles they became very audible under boost.