2019+ Fox 3.0 Live Valve Shocks!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK I get that but is there a switch in the 2019 and 2020 like high-end cars that you can change from comfort, sport, etc….

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I know that, I should have phrased my question better.
Just wanted to find out if they are working on making a stand alone system for all vehicles.

I can't get any decent info on what the live valving actually does,
is it just a soft/hard setting or is there more involved stuff going on?

kings offering, which they previewed at sand sports should be much closer to the porsche/gt350/corvette dscsport live valve setup.

the fox offering relies on the BCM/TCM/PCM for its inputs. The wires going to the shock are only to manipulate the valve.

The dscsport style of suspension computer uses inputs from the shock and other modules to calculate the changes/control. The fox style relies on the bcm to do the calculations with its own inputs. that bcm then simply instructs the shock on how open the valves are.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Mbdurham

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mbdurham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
NEOGARAGE

NEOGARAGE

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OK I get that but is there a switch in the 2019 and 2020 like high-end cars that you can change from comfort, sport, etc….
It's tied into the ECU, so it would be difficult to retrofit it into a previous year right now, I assume.

I'm sure they will make a standalone ecu with height sensors and all that is required so you can add it, but that's probably not on the list right now. With the Bronco and other new off-road trucks coming, their focus is probably on that at the moment.

All it does is reads height and how the suspension is moving with the road and adjusts for proper ride comfort, and while off road it can sense the tires come off the ground and prepare the shocks to handle a landing better.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
It's tied into the ECU, so it would be difficult to retrofit it into a previous year right now, I assume.

I'm sure they will make a standalone ecu with height sensors and all that is required so you can add it, but that's probably not on the list right now. With the Bronco and other new off-road trucks coming, their focus is probably on that at the moment.

All it does is reads height and how the suspension is moving with the road and adjusts for proper ride comfort, and while off road it can sense the tires come off the ground and prepare the shocks to handle a landing better.
the fox shocks do not measure ride height at all. There is no shock shaft speed or location sensor in the shocks. All of the settings changes get their inputs from the gyrometer, wheel speed sensors, throttle position sensor, brake sensors, transmission control module and oddly the impact sensors.

ALL of the Logic is programmed into the Ford computers. There is no piggyback computer like on the mustangs, GT or other vehicles that offer adjustable suspension. It is NOT possible to retrofit the raptor live valve tech into previous year trucks.

most folks that build their trucks out remove the live valve and go back to traditional shocks.

If you plan a more wild build, skip the live valves. If you plan to build a mild truck, I don't see a real reason to ditch them, unless they leave you wanting for more.

the "modes" are driving modes related to how you'll be using the truck.

There is no "comfort" or "sport" mode that you can select to change the shock dynamics on their own. The only thing you can change this on, to my knowledge, is the steering feel.

The aftermarket live valve fox shocks have a dial on them to go softer/stiffer, but that is a manual selection via a physical dial on the reservoir body.

OP
OP
NEOGARAGE

NEOGARAGE

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
the fox shocks do not measure ride height at all. There is no shock shaft speed or location sensor in the shocks. All of the settings changes get their inputs from the gyrometer, wheel speed sensors, throttle position sensor, brake sensors, transmission control module and oddly the impact sensors.

ALL of the Logic is programmed into the Ford computers. There is no piggyback computer like on the mustangs, GT or other vehicles that offer adjustable suspension. It is NOT possible to retrofit the raptor live valve tech into previous year trucks.

most folks that build their trucks out remove the live valve and go back to traditional shocks.

If you plan a more wild build, skip the live valves. If you plan to build a mild truck, I don't see a real reason to ditch them, unless they leave you wanting for more.

There is no "comfort" or "sport" mode that you can select to change the shock dynamics on their own. The only thing you can change this on, to my knowledge, is the steering feel.

The aftermarket live valve fox shocks have a dial on them to go softer/stiffer, but that is a manual selection via a physical dial on the reservoir body.
When I meant it reads ride height, I was referring to the ride height sensor on the front upper control arms.

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score

When you say you don't see a reason to ditch them, are you talking about the stock live valve shocks? Or live valve technology altogether?