2019 DEPRECIATION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's nuthin. If you really want to get screwed, go buy a luxury sedan. I traded in a near perfect, garage kept, low mileage, not a scratch on it, loaded, V8 G80 Genesis sedan that I bought used in July of 2018 for $27,500. I went to several dealers, including Carmax for ***** and giggles, and was offered $17,000 from one Ford dealer on trade, $16,000 from CarMax and $18,500 ultimately on my trade for the Raptor. This is a car that stickered for $57k new in 2016. That is insane depreciation.

Kashoggio

Lives in a van down by the river.
Reaction score
That's nuthin. If you really want to get screwed, go buy a luxury sedan. I traded in a near perfect, garage kept, low mileage, not a scratch on it, loaded, V8 G80 Genesis sedan that I bought used in July of 2018 for $27,500. I went to several dealers, including Carmax for ***** and giggles, and was offered $17,000 from one Ford dealer on trade, $16,000 from CarMax and $18,500 ultimately on my trade for the Raptor. This is a car that stickered for $57k new in 2016. That is insane depreciation.
It’s a Genesis, hardly a luxury sedan. Once they distance them selves from Hyundai then maybe but till then no one wants to buy them

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a Genesis, hardly a luxury sedan. Once they distance them selves from Hyundai then maybe but till then no one wants to buy them
While I won't disagree that a Genesis will likely depreciate fast than some other luxury brands, have you ever been in one? I recently rode in the back of a G90 and thought I was riding in a Bentley. I was shocked at how nice it was.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AMG S63s (actually any Benz that's a sedan) are no better and what do you call those?

An S63 Benz is not “any Benz that’s a sedan”

It’s like calling a Raptor similar to a base model fleet work truck F-150 that cost $18k

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. AMG sedans are among the fastest depreciating vehicles out there, and that's saying a lot. Sedans in general have little to no appeal these days and that is reflected in trade-in and resale. The G80 I had was an extremely nice car, on par with the AMG CLK class I had a number of years ago. Lot of issues with both vehicles, though. The main problem with the Genesis brand is it being co-mingled with Hyundai. Their two big sedans are so entirely removed from the typical Sonata/Elantra lines they might as well be from completely different planets.

When in for service, at least they always gave me a loaner, no questions asked. I am concerned what kind of experience I'm in for if I have problems with this Ford. I'm used to getting loaners when I need to leave my car with the service department (in the past 2 Lexus, 2 Acuras, MBZ and this Genesis), so we'll see.

pfred

Reaction score
The only people that care of depreciation on a high performance luxury sedan (like an AMG S63) are people that don’t own them. Its a line item expense on a spreadsheet.

If you want resale value go buy a Wrangler or Taco.

Enjoy your truck.

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread is about Raptor depreciation which, relative to almost all other cars, isn't bad at all.

That was the point as per the OP - it could be way worse.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Remember , the more the vehicle is discounted, the more it depreciates.

10747591hdhba.jpg

Actually, "the more a vehicle is discounted after you bought it, the more your vehicle depreciates."

The "more the vehicle is discounted" has nothing to do with its resale value or depreciation from its purchase price.

Status
Not open for further replies.