2019 DEPRECIATION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrain13crew

Reaction score
Ford Raptors are one of a kind and really are a privelage to own and drive , I am very happy to hand Ford Motor Co. my money and love to see this great company produce some of the best autos and trucks ever built .... depreciation is part of the industry and owning vehicles . Buy New every 2 years and be happy

bloverby

Reaction score
They are depreciating more because they are not SVT products. They are Ford assembly line trucks that any dealer can order. It's been long known that Gen2's wouldn''t have the exclusivity and resale of the Gen1's. I've noticed prices dropping like a rock since I bought my 2018. The Tundra I traded for the Raptor held it's value much better.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went and did a little research to see just how much the Raptor is deprecating in comparison to Chevy, Ram and Toyota. As is suspected, the Raptor held its own - as usual.

Here’s what I did. I went and built a 2019 Chevy 1500, 2019 Ram Limited and 2020 Toyota Platinum with every possible option to match the Raptor. I pretty much had to add every possible option.

I then went to KBB.com and and checked “My Car Value” for a 2019 with 12,000 miles for each truck. As I did when I built the truck, I loaded up KBB with every option to match. I chose “Very Good Condition” for each search and took the highest range price value for all four trucks.

One can argue that I didn’t chose this option and KBB isn’t the best source, etc, etc, etc. But in the end, this is a fair apples to apple MSRP comparison for each vehicle relative to depreciation.

Here’s what I found: (in order of greatest depreciation)

Dodge Ram Limited
MSRP: $62,475
KBB: $43,802
Diff: $18,673
Depreciation: 30%

Toyota Tundra Platinum
MSRP: $54,465
KBB: $40,656
Diff: $13,809
Depreciation: 25%

Chevy 1500 High Country
MSRP: $56,690
KBB: $45,964
Diff: $10,726
Depreciation: 19%

Ford Raptor
MSPR: $72,520
KBB: $62,343
Diff: $10,177
Depreciation: 14%

Last edited:

Raptor50

Reaction score
I agree with the Original Post. I justified buying my Gen1 2014 Raptor new because resale value was so good. I owned it 5yrs, 72k mls and sold it for $41k spring of 2019, paid just under sticker which was $55k or so. Got to drive an awesome truck and it held its value, win/win. Its unfortunate for those who paid a premium over sticker just to watch Ford flood the market. I primarily buy V8 BMWs 2-3 yrs old to avoid the initial depreciation. Ford had a great thing going with the Gen1 Raptors. If they had just left well enough alone, the Gen2's could have held the same resale value. Dealers charging over sticker should be a crime! I was going to buy a 19 at $10k off sticker, but decided to order a 2020 Raptor at $6k below sticker. was worth the extra $4k to get Leadfoot and recaro's. Dealers in CO will not budge off sticker on 2020's. So I'll drive several states away.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know how to deal with depreciation? Buy a used raptor.

Steve2013

Reaction score
I agree Ford has made a very special truck into a very common truck. I bought the Raptor because it was unique and not very many out there. I still enjoy the truck, but they are everywhere.

Jasonrothe

Reaction score
133DCCFC-A564-43DD-A689-347ABA744368.jpeg It’s Simple supply and demand I don’t blame Ford. They are in business to make a profit.

I got lucky, 3 years ago I bought my 13 terrain, with I think every option available. I have the original sticker 67K.
I wanted a gen 2 but couldn’t justify paying over sticker. So I thought I would find a good used one. Drive it a couple of years, until the frenzy ended.
Now! You can’t get my 13 away from me! I love this thing and I use it. I haul trailers and work with it. 145k and it’s still kicking ass. I’m keeping it until it dies or needs major work.

I tell everyone it’s the last of its kind. A big heavy truck, gas guzzling v8 engine, luxury of a Cadillac. They will never make a truck like it again.

To relate this to the original post. I think mine has actually held its value in the 3 years I have owned it.
I paid 32k 3 years ago 105k miles. I think it’s still worth that with 145k now.
Picture for fun most recent one I had doing some work.

Last edited:

skerzz

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has noticed how bad the 2018-2019 ford raptors are depreciating now since ford over produced 2018 and 2019 raptors. For example, a 2019 raptor with 12,000 to 15,000 miles has a Kelly blue book value of $ 59,000.00. This is a truck that had a msrp of $ 74,000.00 12 months ago and was selling anywheres between $ 10,000.00 over and $ 5000.00 under msrp. I can remember in 2016 when the gen. 2 first came out as a 2017 you could not touch one for msrp. and they actually where only depreciating about $ 7000.00 to $ 8000.00 per year until just recently when ford dealers realized they had to much inventory because Ford has flooded the market with raptors. It is really a shame that ford absolutely killed the exclusivity and the market value of the raptor. One of the strong considerations for purchasing the raptor resale value, but unfortunately now a limited, platinum, king ranch, or lariat hold their value just as good as a raptor. Again it's really to bad ford flooded the market with raptors and really damaged the exclusivity and rareness of the ford raptor. It's also funny how 12-24 months ago ford dealers dug their heels in and had to get $ 5000.00 to $ 10,000.00 over MSRP, now they can't give them away. I wonder what the big difference is ? I think this explains why dealers are now selling raptors for $ 5000.00 to $ 10,000.00 under. Remember , the more the vehicle is discounted, the more it depreciates. It's just a shame Ford decided to overproduce a very special truck to where the value is no better than a Ram pickup truck.

$71K msrp less $6K under sticker = $65K purchase price for my loaded 2019. If I can sell it one year later for $59K that would be $6K depreciation.... wtf are you whining about, troll? Go ahead and trade your Raptor for a Taco. Mine was purchased for the utility, not a return on capital

Status
Not open for further replies.