2019 Center gear shifter light..yes you can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

13screw

Reaction score
Not having the P R N D M letters lit was driving me nuts. I'm sure it's fine for some but it was dark and just annoying to me. So I used a small piece of RGB led light strip and used the power source from the ambient cup holder lighting. Yes I know it's green in the picture but being RGB I can change it. Thought I'd share for the other OCD people.

Attachments

• 20220114_180821.jpg
    20220114_180821.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 20220114_180843.jpg
    20220114_180843.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 133
OP
OP

13screw

Reaction score
Its a 5 minute job to remove center console. Just open it and pull up on the plastic shifter/ cup holder piece. Theres a few videos online showing how to remove it.

tone228

Reaction score
I wondered about this when I first got my truck, but after living with it for a while I think there was a reason why it doesn't light up. Do you get a reflection in your rear window in the dark? Maybe Ford thought it could distract drivers. Not sure if this is more pronounced in my truck because it's a Scab.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wondered about this when I first got my truck, but after living with it for a while I think there was a reason why it doesn't light up. Do you get a reflection in your rear window in the dark? Maybe Ford thought it could distract drivers. Not sure if this is more pronounced in my truck because it's a Scab.

It was a pure bean counter move by Ford, almost as chicken$hit of a move as removing the springs in the rear cup holders for model year 20.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks good, does anyone else not like hot the lever for the shifter is plastic and has a cheap sounding click going from reverse to drive? I am. My jeep had a nice soft action to it… im sure the trx has the same… just nit picking.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is hilarious. I can see my frikken seat heater condition in my back window like a HUD unit. Man ford engineers are visionaries.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It was a pure bean counter move by Ford, almost as chicken$hit of a move as removing the springs in the rear cup holders for model year 20.

It would be interesting to see what the cost savings from this and other minor feature removals is. My guess would be that it's not entirely about the cost, but that it's another thing that could break, and focus groups didn't really care.

Personally, I love the ability to change LED color in the 2017, and I will definitely miss it if/when I upgrade.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see what the cost savings from this and other minor feature removals is. My guess would be that it's not entirely about the cost, but that it's another thing that could break, and focus groups didn't really care.

Personally, I love the ability to change LED color in the 2017, and I will definitely miss it if/when I upgrade.
It’s purely and always about the cost with bean counters. These aren’t just on Raptors we’re talking about, don’t forget that the cab/interior of the Raptor is the same for all SCREW F-150, F-250/F-350 and F450. That makes up for a staggering amount of trucks for Ford, so a penny or two saved per unit is a wet dream to a bean counter.

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see that it would be a cost-cutting move so much as being simply not being seen as necessary since the gear selection is shown in the normal spot on the instrument panel.

In fact, if I ever noticed that PRNDL was on the center console next to the shifter, I've long since forgot about it.