2018 Burning Oil/Producing Smoke After idling/Warming Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Panduh

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a service appointment scheduled in a week with my local dealership. That is the soonest that could get me in. In the meantime im wondering if anyone else has noticed their truck producing heavy smoke from the tailpipes after the truck is idling or warming up.

Truck can be cold or hot
I have noticed the smoke when the truck is parked on a flat surface, incline and decline
The smoke has been very heavy, bluish/white and also blue at times
It smells like burning oil
It doesnt smell sweet
It can take a mile or more to clear up as I drive
33k miles
No mods

I haven't noticed any decline in power or any weird noises other than the turbo/waste gate actuator rattle

Anyone else experience this?

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mobile 1 synthetic

You could try a different oil brand at your next change. Some engines are finicky with oil.

Change/clean the PCV valve.

Get the dealer to do a compression/leak down test.

edit: could be moisture in the exhaust at startup with the cooler temps (colder in my area)

Good luck and report back

Last edited:

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are losing oil, and exhaust is smelling like oil, you have a definite problem. There was another here recently with same symptoms and I think it was a broken puston skirt.
You are in a tough spot to get Ford to fix though. You might just have to drive it until it breaks and hope it's still in warranty.

OP
OP
Panduh

Panduh

Reaction score
If you are losing oil, and exhaust is smelling like oil, you have a definite problem. There was another here recently with same symptoms and I think it was a broken puston skirt.
You are in a tough spot to get Ford to fix though. You might just have to drive it until it breaks and hope it's still in warranty.

I can drive it like Ford intended for it to be driven. I have the 5y/100k mile warranty. so I have some time to get it to pop